Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

M51 The Whirlpool galaxy of 2020

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by stepping beyond, Jun 29, 2020.

M51 The Whirlpool galaxy of 2020

Started by stepping beyond on Jun 29, 2020 at 11:30 AM

3 Replies 906 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

This is hands down the worst year for imaging and a new mount is just sitting covered on the drive. I hadn't had enough data to compile an image without using older archived data that was out of focus as I found out compared to the data I collected this go around. Here's what I've been able to do so far. color RGB 30,60, 120s create.jpg

Ed D and squeege3000 like this.
  2. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

I've never been organized enough to use older data with new captures. Good job! Yes, NC weather has been on the vomiting through the nose side this year. I'm on the planet hunt now, but that means early morning.

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I like your image. To my eyes the galaxy has a sort of 3-D look in the spiral arms, especially at 6 o'clock. I converted your image to grey scale and like it a lot. What can I say, I was into B&W photography decades ago.

Ed D

Untitled-Grayscale-01.jpg

4. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

Yes Ed , I love the Luminance data far better than the rgb data it doesn't have a lick of calibration in it. I've had a short window to image this target getting to it so late due to the weather. I think there might even be more in there but, I'm thinking about giving it another ANOTHER GO IN ccdSTACK2 and stretch in Curves along with running it through Astronomy tools again. THANK YALL