Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars Live Video Feed

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Sep 10, 2020.

Mars Live Video Feed

Started by Orion25 on Sep 10, 2020 at 4:04 PM

25 Replies 4231 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Thanks Reggie. The Sky at Night magazine mentioned it and I realised this is what we're seeing. With a later opposition this year the northern pole is approaching autumn/winter and so the northern hoodie is developing lol. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've caught some of the hoodie on film (or the digital equivalent)!

I was looking at Mars only about an hour ago, overall transparency wasn't brilliant, but I got 168x and 210x. Not bad for the 72mm Evostar.

It's hardcore!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Orion25 likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

At 00:00 BST I was set up with my Evostar 80ED DS Pro. The transparency wasn’t very good as this is traditionally the dew season. It was fairly warm however with a cloudless sky. I expected about an hour or so before the cloudy sky porridge came. After around twenty minutes of rich field I decided to turn my attention to a rising Mars.

evo.jpg

The plan was to observe with Baader Neodymium and Baader Contrast Booster filters consecutively. I’d usually start off with a 7.5mm Takahashi LE combined with a 2x Tele Vue Barlow for 160x. This time I thought I’d try a 3.2mm TS Planetary HR (187x) I’d actually bought for a different scope. The image was so sharp and clear I rapidly switched to a 3mm Tele Vue DeLite. Although not much different to the HR in focal length I prefer the overall ergonomics of the DeLite. Interestingly, the HR seemed to hold its own with the DeLite for clarity, sharpness, and contrast. In my experience the 80ED is regularly capable of 200x on many targets. This really helps with perceiving Martian detail.

1fx.jpg

After a while at 200x I wondered if I could use other filters. So I went back to the house and fetched a Baader Orange 570nm Longpass and a Tele Vue Bandmate Planetary. I also brought a 2.5mm TS HR eyepiece along just to see if I could push to 240x. The seeing must have been a good 'Antoniadi I' as the image was still sharp at 240x. I abandoned the 3.2mm HR and decided to test the Contrast Booster, 570nm Longpass and Bandmate with the DeLite and 2.5mm HR.

marscrop.jpg
    Above image is a screenshot from Sky-Safari 6 Pro and has been mirror reversed and rotated.

All three of the filters were an improvement on no filter, but the Orange 570nm revealed far more of the dark albedo features than the Contrast Booster. It’s always been a favourite of mine for Mars. The Bandmate was a close second and revealed more features in many respects, particularly the NPH. I was quite impressed with the amount of detail using an 80mm aperture. I could make out what appeared to me as an angular ‘hook’ formation to the east of Valles Marineris (I couldn’t see the Valles itself of course). After some research I believe I was seeing the region just below the Ophir Planum and Xanthe Terra regions. Possibly the edge of the Thaumasia Planum. I observed roughly until Mars reached transit. The cloudy sky porridge never did come.

arrowfx.jpg
    Above image is a screenshot from Sky-Safari 6 Pro.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Mars is really showing off this time around, lol. I'm still waiting on consistently clear skies before I haul out the big equipment. There's hope this weekend! In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading your reports ;)

Mak the Night likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

Funny you should say that ... I went out at about 03:00 yesterday (Saturday) morning with the Big Mak! This was basically taking a chance on the weather.

fx.jpg

It clouded over as soon as I set up of course. But by 03:45, and well cooled down, I was ready for Mars. I only took three EP's of 8,7, and 6mm. Mars was very bright in the Big Mak and I used the Baader Orange and TV Planetary filters again. I really wasn't prepared for the brightness over the 80ED aperture. It took me by surprise, so if you take anything big out use something like a polarising filter to ameliorate the white-out.

acidalia.jpg

Despite the extra resolution over the 80 ED DS Pro it was not as defined as with the smaller refractor on the equinox. Acidalia Planitia, inter alia, was easier to see I suppose. The NPH and southern pole were pretty obvious and the NPH was probably more defined than with the refractor.

dL7POZX.jpg

And this area above could be seen and recognised again. Not as large obviously lol.

Martian images are screenshots from SkySafari 6 Pro and the slightly bollocksed Mars Atlas. Big Mak image from my antiquated phone camera, or possibly my Nexus tablet. I can't remember.

I'm not saying Mars was flaring badly with the Big Mak, but we're talking flares bigger than these blokes are wearing.

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

You're definitely right about Mars needing something to cut down the brightness. I typically use a polariser, especially at opposition, and a color filter or two. I'm gravitating toward the Orion Mars filter, and a yellow to make the coloration more natural. Those flares those guys are wearing are legendary, lol! But the music is spot on!

Mak the Night likes this.
  6. Mak the Night

I forgot how bright it can get as it gets nearer opposition. I think I saw the so called 'Eye of Mars' feature as well in my sessions. Try an orange filter if you have one. One of my favourite for Mars is the Baader Orange 570nm Longpass. This really helps with dark albedo features.

Speaking of ridiculous glam rock apparel ... oh no ... it's Slade! (the most infamous band to come from Wolverhampton)

Orion25 likes this.