Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

m31 processing isn't a joy

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by stepping beyond, Jan 17, 2022.

m31 processing isn't a joy

Started by stepping beyond on Jan 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM

3 Replies 544 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

I'm color5.jpg color5.1.jpg trying my best trying to pull and tease what I can out of my data. Processing is my nemesis!

PXR-5, Orion25 and Ed D like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

You actually have a good image.

Sometimes the light pollution where I live will totally ruin the colors, getting a not too different image from your yellow/green galaxy. What I usually do to save an image is to first convert to B&W, getting rid of the funky colors. Then, I'll use GIMP to fine tune the contrast, crop, etc. If you are familiar with GIMP, I use the Curves feature in the Colors tab. I downloaded your yellow/green image and 'massaged' it a little. This is what I came up with:

color5.jpg

Your image is actually very good. I like it a lot.

I like B&W photography and most of my B&W images were done that way on purpose. Guess I'm showing my age.

Ed

Orion25 likes this.
  3. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

Ed , that's pretty darn good adding the color balance and saturation is how I end up screwing the image up . Those are only a couple nights of data to acquire a descent workflow but, I'm struggling with color balance and saturation that's just ruining everything I do.

4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Wow! All of these images are great. I wish I had the patience to try to image galaxies. You got some nice data to work with, SB. You give great "massages", Ed, lol!

Ed D likes this.