Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

May 9, 2022: Arzachel, Alphonsus and Ptolemaeus

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, May 9, 2022.

May 9, 2022: Arzachel, Alphonsus and Ptolemaeus

Started by Ed D on May 9, 2022 at 10:31 AM

3 Replies 672 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Last night I did a first imaging run using my 10" Dob on the tracking platform. I chose a section of the moon with three craters that I like: Arzachel, Alphonsus and Ptolemaeus. At first I used my ZWO ASI290MC camera with a 2x Barlow. If it had been a still night I could have gotten good videos, but the wind was gusting strongly. Also, the heat was bad all day and into the night and the image danced like a blob of Jello. Not a good night at all. I pulled the Barlow out and just used the camera. Much, much better. With the big Dob I really didn't need the Barlow. Shimmering was now tolerable and the wind didn't blow the image around that badly. I also liked the way the three subject craters were framed by the lunar landscape. Adjusting the motor speed was challenging in the wind, and I finally found the 'sweet spot' in the platform travel for solar system imaging. Everything came together and I shot the video that produced this image.

2022 05-08 Moon.jpg
    Lunar craters Arzachel, Alphonsus and Ptolemaeus (image center)

One upgrade I want to do to the platform are adjustable front feet. The platform is spot on for my latitude when set on a level floor. However, my patio slab is slanted away from the house for rain to run off.

I want to try imaging the moon with my DSLR. The Dob is big and has a long focal length. Two advantages are the large aperture for increased detail, and a big image size without using Barlows.

Ed D

Mak the Night and Orion25 like this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice definition on those craters, Ed. I'm curious to see how the DSLR shots come out!

Ed D likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Nice shot Ed.

Ed D likes this.
  4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

According to astronomytools.com, the DSLR will image a full lunar frame. One big difference is that the DSLR has 18Mp vs 1.2Mp of the ASI290MC, as well as the DSLR having larger pixels. I believe the larger sensor will probably capture enough image that I can crop in on craters and still have good detail. We will see.

Now, if I can get decent skies and a little cooler night temperatures.

Ed

Orion25 likes this.