Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

The Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Mars!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, May 29, 2022.

The Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Mars!

Started by Orion25 on May 29, 2022 at 9:54 AM

5 Replies 1079 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Got up again before dawn to capture some shots of the morning planetary action. This time, Jupiter and Mars were intimately close (about 38 arc minutes apart)! The first shot is at prime focus through my 127mm Mak-Cass and the other two are with a 300x zoom lens:

ASTRONOMY - JUPITER & MARS CONJUNCTION 5-29-22 A SM.jpg

ASTRONOMY - JUPITER & MARS CONJUNCTION 5-29-22 B SM.jpg

ASTRONOMY - JUPITER & MARS CONJUNCTION 5-29-22 C SM.jpg

This is the most astronomy I've ever done during the pre-dawn hours. There is a peacefulness that I cannot describe at that time of morning. It's worth getting up at 4:30 a.m. to experience it (sometimes, lol).

Clear skies!
    Reggie :D

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Mak the Night and Ed D like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Reggie, I like all the images, but especially the first and third. The first I like for the close up detal. The third I like because of the inclusion of the foliage. Thanks for posting them.

Down here we are under constant assault from mother nature. Yesterday we had a particularly bad storm with lots of lightning and booming, which terrorized my dog and cats. I jumped a few times, too. :eek:

Ed

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Thanks, Ed. I like getting perspective shots when I can, to add context and interest. I think I'll pause the pre-dawn astronomy for now and sleep in, lol. Yes, you're entering an active weather season. I hope you get some clear skies in between. Hold on!

4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I just saw this. Great pictures as usual Reggie. The 127mm rocks! I was super-ready with the super-light, super-fast grab and run super-planetary rig 'Titchy Sixty' configuration:

planet rig.jpg

Unfortunately a superabundance of clouds foiled my super-plans. I got eleven sessions so far in May though, basically equalling last May.

I'm sure NSG would approve.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Thanks, Dave. I wish you could have seen it. That 'Titchy Sixty' configuration looks brilliant; plan on having some fun with Mars!

BTW, I think I'm quitting Kim for NSG, she has a better personality and moves!

Mak the Night likes this.
  6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I always enjoy your pictures Reggie. The weather should be improving here mid-week and Jupiter and Mars are slowly getting higher.

titchyL.jpg

I've been experimenting with lightweight lunar observing combinations. I would probably use one of the Mak's for dedicated Moon viewing. The Titchy Sixty is pretty good for viewing the Moon during a non-lunar session. Usually when the phase is small or when it's fairly low.

titL2.jpg

I think you've made the right decision with NSG. I suspect Kim has some form of cyber-infection. I don't want to spread rumours, but I've heard she gets around a bit lol.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Orion25 likes this.