Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Northern Lights from UK

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Mak the Night, Aug 9, 2022.

Northern Lights from UK

Started by Mak the Night on Aug 9, 2022 at 8:46 AM

15 Replies 2084 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

This explains what I've been seeing the past couple of nights.

bbc.jpg

I've seen this phenomenon before, although it is rare further south than the Midlands.

"Aurora hunters were given a treat in the early hours of Monday when the Northern Lights created a display of "pillars and greens" visible to the naked eye.

A clear night sky, a set moon and several solar flares created the perfect conditions to see the aurora off the Norfolk coast, which, when photographed, also revealed purple hues.

The Northern Lights are caused by the interaction of the solar wind - a stream of charged particles escaping the Sun - and our planet's magnetic field and atmosphere."
    BBC NEWS

[Unrelated non-astronomy content removed again. Warning issued. Thank you for your understanding.]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2022
    Ed D, Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I wish I could see them from my latitude. I bet it's a beautiful sight. Oh, and beware, I got messages about removing videos that are not astronomy-related. I got a few of mine removed. Are the police back in force?? :eek::eek:

3. Agena AstroProducts

Agena AstroProducts Vendor

>>Oh, and beware, I got messages about removing videos that are not astronomy-related. I got a few of mine removed. Are the police back in force??

Yes. We should never have let that slide and continue unabated. Please desist from posting content unrelated to astronomy. Thank you all for your understanding and cooperation.

4. Mak the Night

I could see a finger of bright lilac light in the north-east. A couple of a lighter colour and much paler were next to it. TBH I had no idea what they were. The aurora are often reported in Scotland and sometimes northern England.

Oh yeah ... plod are back in force ...

5. Mak the Night

Well, personally, I thought the 'Northern Lights' by Renaissance was apposite to the topic. No other astronomy site has removed the video link I included with the article.

"He didn't know the right people. That's all a police record means." Raymond Chandler

6. Agena AstroProducts

Agena AstroProducts Vendor

>>Well, personally, I thought the 'Northern Lights' by Renaissance was apposite to the topic.

Sorry - but in light of the very large number of irrelevant videos that have been posted in the past, we do not have the bandwidth to read each post and look at every video to see whether it might be pertinent or not. It would be best to desist from posting these on AC.

Thank you again for your understanding and co-operation.

7. Mak the Night

It's OK. But I doubt I'll ever be posting here again. This just does not feel like a friendly forum anymore. I don't think any of my video postings were 'irrelevant'. Well, they weren't to me anyway. Maybe it's a cultural thing. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

8. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Mak, I do enjoy your posts, videos or not. Please rethink this.

Agena's forum is small and I'm sure the resources limited, but the people here are really cool. I no longer frequent the other site because it's so big and the posts devolve into online barroom brawls. Also, it seems that on the other site eveything is about high-dollar equipment races. I have never seen anything like that on Agena Astro.

Ed

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    Mak the Night and Orion25 like this.
  9. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I agree with @Ed D . @Mak the Night, Dave, please, reconsider. I've always enjoyed your posts as well. You're a large part of why AC is so cool :)

Mak the Night likes this.
  10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I agree with Ed D and Orion25 @Mak the Night. The posts are interesting even without videos.

11. Mak the Night

It's not the only forum that is unfriendly Ed. At least this one is fairly peaceful.

Ed D likes this.
  12. Mak the Night

Yeah, thanks Reggie. The other place turned out to be too hostile to aliens anyway. I should have expected it lol.

Orion25 likes this.
  13. Mak the Night

I try to be interesting. Thanks Neb.

Orion25 likes this.
  14. Mak the Night

I'm working on a synopsis of August. Unfortunately I've had some health problems, but I'll post when I can. August was pretty good considering and I made my 100th session a month earlier than last year.

Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  15. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Mak, wishing you well and hoping you get the health problems straightened out.

Ed

16. Mak the Night

Cheers ED, I think I'm on the mend. I can't say the same for the weather here lol.