Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Observation and sketches of ST-23 and M110 galaxy

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Nebula, Sep 24, 2022.

Observation and sketches of ST-23 and M110 galaxy

Started by Nebula on Sep 24, 2022 at 6:58 AM

12 Replies 1146 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Here is my contribution today and the result of my observation of last night. Rather disappointing and caused by poor transparency of the sky. One of those days when you drive away and the sky is not that impressive ));

The Veil nebula was almost invisible at the zenith without using any filters using my 12" Newt. but Andromeda was as large as I have ever seen before in my 24mm eyepiece, filling the the whole diameter in length.

The galaxy that caught my attention the most was M100, I've never seen it this big before, it was like seeing it for the first time again with twice the usual size. Jupiter and Saturn could take almost no power at all, like around 60x :eek:

The other sketch the ST-23 in Camelopardalis was a convenient target to sketch, it looked nice enough to spend time on it. Not that dense but nice little place.

In the M110 sketch, MANY stars are missing, that's one point to know.

[​IMG]

Ed D and Mak the Night like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Nice sketches Neb.

Nebula likes this.
  3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

thanks, if it had not been for these sketches, the observation would have been a near disaster. I am far behind you with 100 observations so far!! last month was terrible...

4. Mak the Night

Is the jetstream over you? It shifts regularly for me and can often cover the entire country. Sometimes it misses me.

bad.jpg
    Bad

better.jpg
    Better (well, not for Scotland lol)

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

6. Mak the Night

Maybe humidity?

7. Mak the Night

Thanks for the jstream link. :)

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night ah yea totally it was humidity, the flashlight would produce a visible beam of light and everything.. The forecast was about 55% of relative humidity but on the field it looked more like 85% with water condensation on the tube, a lot of it.

I am getting ready for a light weight observation tonight from home with my 8", easier to move around and with TRACKING.

The totality of my gear (excluding the weights) the 12" is in the back, 51lbs total for the bag, the 8" is about 28lbs total with the bag. It's going to be fun!

[​IMG]

9. Mak the Night

Good luck. I'm having the same humidity problems. I just got in from a Jupiter/Mars session with my 127mm Mak. Difficult to get much over 100x on Jupiter. Got around 180~256x on Mars. Best around 200x. Saw the phase and a hint of the southern cap, maybe NPH and some darker albedo. Looked a bit indistinct, big though.

Nebula likes this.
  10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I had good luck falling asleep at 20:00 last Saturday, woke up the next morning with the pile of gear untouched... Today was much less humid then last Saturday, there was an improvement. Good conditions are coming in the following days, maybe less humidity and perhaps Mars!

It's good 200x on mars

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

This is what I did today with VERY little energy to get out.. the only thing I could manage was my 6" on the dobson base using 1 24mm eyepiece, a very quick sketch of M92, an observation of less then 20 minutes.. it's better then nothing at all..

Conditions were good, telescope well collimated from the last time, cool wide fields.

[​IMG]

Ed D and Mak the Night like this.
  12. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I like your sketches. Very nice!

Ed

Nebula likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Ed D Thanks!

It's not much in life but it's something I enjoy doing, the reasons why are a real mystery.