Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars Features on Display for Late November & December

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Orion25, Nov 24, 2022.

Mars Features on Display for Late November & December

Started by Orion25 on Nov 24, 2022 at 7:29 PM

5 Replies 556 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Get out your telescopes and cameras! You won't want to miss these Martian features.

November 30 (perigee): Syrtis Major and Hellas
    December 8 (opposition)
    December 10: Mare Cimmerium and Elysium
    December 17: Mare Sirenum and Olympus Mons
    December 23: Tharsis Ridge, Solis Lacus, and Valles Marineris
    December 30: Solis Lacus, Valles Marineris, Mare Erythraeum, and Sinus Meridiani

Sources: Astronomy Magazine, November/December 2022 issues

Ed D likes this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Tonight! Tonight I get out with my 12" mirror for Mars (((((((; I will try a couple of filters on it such as the reds.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Let us know how it goes, Neb!

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 ahhhfff my observation was disappointing a bit, it was mainly a struggle against the telescope, I was annoyed by too much cars passing mixed with a lot of anxiety regarding a couple of things.. (and very tired)

I was not able to concentrate or to sketch anything, I underestimated the weight of the scope tonight, totally..

BUT the views were not too bad, the whole Arabia Terra "continent like" was visible, Syrtis major very clean views of that, the terra meridiani, well defined, the Mare Serpentis also . It was not a useless observation.

All that with a 9mm Xcel Lx, 167x, and a bit with a 6mm, 250x, 167 was much better tonight. I tried 3 filters, 82a = totally useless on mars, Neodymium.. not very useful and the Celestron Mars filter which was pretty good as always.

No sketch ); There was a outer bright ring around the edge of the planet, hiding the clouds and atmosphere features.

It was difficult but still very interesting...

5. Orion25

Thanks for the report. I hope things get better in the days to come. Perigee comes this Wednesday but they're forecasting rain for me. We'll see!

6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 Oh ok I did not know that the perigee was Wednesday.. here tomorrow the forecast is a clear sky but :eek: -14 Celsius. Add a little bit of wind to that and it's very cold.

The nights will be cold this week, I might pick a smaller telescope if I go out, my 8".

Orion25 likes this.