Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

My Best Solar Image - This One's Good

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Jan 17, 2023.

My Best Solar Image - This One's Good

Started by Ed D on Jan 17, 2023 at 7:45 PM

2 Replies 471 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I made my solar filter work on the TV-85 and took 30 frames with the Canon T3i. This may be my best solar image ever:

2023 01-17 Sun.jpg

In this image you can see some granulation and other surface features, as well as detailed sunspots. I had to crop and reduce the image size in order to post it. I wish you could see it full resolution on a large HD TV.

Here is the image from SpaceWeather.com showing the sunspot labels. Click on the thumbnail to open image:

SW Image.jpg

SUBJECT: White Light Sun

Miami, Florida 25.61N 80.42W (Bortle 9 White Zone)
    Date - 17 January 2023
    Time - 9:15am EST
    Sky Conditions - Clear

EQUIPMENT:
    Telescope/Lens - Tele Vue TV-85
    Imaging Camera - Canon T3i
    Mount - Alt-Az
    Filters - Baader Film White Light

ACQUISITION:
    30 frames stacked

PROCESSING:
    PIPP, AutoStakkert 3, GIMP, Photo Studio, Paint 3D

NOTES:
    Blue tint used to maximize contrast and detail

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's really impressive, Ed. I agree that this is your best solar image to date (and they all are great)! Congratulations! :)

Ed D likes this.
  3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thank you, Reggie.

I was thinking about the 'why' of my image turning out like it did. Obviously the quality of the optical instrument was very high.

The biggest factor, I believe, is that by stopping the objective down to ~50mm the focal ratio was more than doubled. This effectively made the TV-85 a long focal length instrument (f/12+), the benefits being more depth of focus and the resulting greater image stability. The 72mm f/6 I had did not take images as crisp as the stopped down TV-85.

I am a firm believer that for solar system imaging a good quality long focal ratio scope is best. I realize that a 10" f/12 Dob would be a beast, to put it mildly, but if you could somehow reasonably make it work it would trump the short scopes. This is a big reason why I love my 6" f/14 Mak for planetary imaging, even though I have a 10" f/4.7 Dob which I have used for imaging.

With the abundance of sunshine where I live you may be seeing more solar images, providing Mother Nature cooperates.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.