Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion Dragonfly Telephoto Array

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by jgroub, Apr 15, 2017.

Dragonfly Telephoto Array

Started by jgroub on Apr 15, 2017 at 1:29 AM

2 Replies 1027 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I didn't get to attend NEAF this year, but all of the lectures are up on Youtube, and I watched them all there.

One of the lectures was by Roberto Abraham, who is the co-founder of the Dragonfly Telephoto Array. If you've ever seen the above picture and wondered what the heck is going on, I've done all the legwork for you, watching his lecture, reading his published papers, and reading news articles about his team's discoveries. It is truly fascinating, and I wrote it all up in my blog:

https://jgroub.wordpress.com/2017/0...oto-array-galactic-formation-and-dark-matter/

Auriga and AstroLife like this.
  2. AstroLife

AstroLife Active Member

Thanks very much for posting as well as for your excellent blog write-up Jon. I had come across this array online many months ago, bookmarked the links to come back to, and, of course, never did get around to it. But thanks to your informative and very well written article, I now have a good grasp on what this is all about! Being able to reach magnitude 32 is mind-boggling indeed.

Harry D.

jgroub likes this.
  3. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

You're very welcome, Harry. I enjoyed reading their scientific papers and distilling them down into the article.