Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

10 inch F/10 Refractor

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Scopejunkie, Jun 27, 2018.

10 inch F/10 Refractor

Started by Scopejunkie on Jun 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM

43 Replies 529 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Active Member

Hi All,

The old man is at it again. Did a 1500mile turnaround trip to pick up these, no longer needed, bits and pieces to a 10" F/10 refractor. The college I got them from has much newer astro stuff so this became obsolete a few years ago. The OTA weighs about 80lbs. Too much for this guy. I will have to rebuild this 55 year old Navy/AirForce tracking refractor.

Stay tuned[​IMG]

Keith (Scopejunkie)

Attached Files:

2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I am looking forward to seeing it put together.

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Wow! Me too! What a cool, old beast.

I'll be glued to your report(s)!

Dave

4. Scopejunkie

The lens testing has begun.

Keith (Scopejunkie)

Attached Files:

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

wow that's a large beast!, serious stuff.

6. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

What was it designed to track?missiles (too fast moving? As they say how do you stop an incoming ICBM? You don't!)probably aircraft and shipping?

7. Scopejunkie

This telescope was designed to photograph Navy and Air Force parachute tests at NAF El Centro.

8. kevan hubbard

Yes military optics are said to be very high quality. They say that the n.r.o.spy telescopes in orbit are suppose to be so good that they could photograph at postage stamp on the ground outside of Lenin's mausoleum but having never looked through one I can't say if that's true!other reports say that when ever the n.r.o.donate telescopes to NASA NASA always exclaim that they're better than the Hubble! No way to know if that's true either?

9. Scopejunkie

The testing has been a bit interesting. I was expecting a lot of false color but I have found this optic to have less secondary color than my 5" F/9. I wish I knew what "old glass" was used in its construction.

10. terrypaula

terrypaula Well-Known Member

Better you then me
    Boy would I ever get the third degree on this purchase, I barely got away with buying a new mount.

11. Scopejunkie

Sorry to hear of your tight telescope reins. My wife gives me great telescope support. This way she knows where the "other women" are in my life. :D Has worked well for 45 years. I have used scopes I have built to rescue us from some tight financial times in our early years. :)

Nebula likes this.
  12. terrypaula

terrypaula Well-Known Member

It isn't an issue for me she thought about it, I gave her a choice of a Hot Rod or Astronomy she opted for Astronomy. I plan on upgrading to what I can carry easily so i an go to just about anywhere in my area. I personally don't see a need for anything else. She was more then willing to let me spend the money on what I wanted in regard to telescopes and mounts plus all the other stuff a person doesn't think they will ever buy. Who would have thought that I would be buying my telescope a heated blanket two years ago. LOL It is just for me to purchase what you just purchased would be out of my league. I would love to look through it but it is unrealistic for me to consider owning it, I would never be able to use it. If you can wonderful. Congratulations!!! Me I am just happy to be getting a new mount for my old junk. It is going to be a real kick in the butt.
    Terry

13. Gabby76

Is the refractor a doublet or triplet?

14. Scopejunkie

Cool! The 10" was one of those rare deals that come up from time to time. The price for it was within my hobby range and I had to jump on it. Now I have to figure what I want to do with it and if I can live with it at my age. Having fun so far. When I throw my back out using it it will be up for sale :eek:

I remember when buying a 60mm Sears EQ refractor was a large financial outlay. A wife and 3 kids on a military budget didn't allow for scopes. That's when I taught myself how to build them. Been doin' it ever since.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Nebula and Gabby76 like this.
  15. Scopejunkie

It's a doublet but it has some strange glass (strange to me anyway). The elements have a slightly yellow hue. I stopped the lens down to 7" and it acted like an apo! (360x) And the testing continues...

16. Gabby76

I am looking around but for some reason Lanthanum having a slight yellowish hue is coming to mind...
    I will have to keep look for a proper reference.

Making it to a 7" changes it to a f/14.3 so that will help a bit with colour correction.

Hmm, the only reference I am finding so far is about older flint glasses that had a yellow hue also...

17. Dave In Vermont

Does the achromat appear to have coatings? Such as reflecting green or blue or such?

My old 12" Meade LX200 GPS could keep track with the ISS. I found that out by accident. One night Iwas looking at I forget what. And the ISS went slowly across my FOV! I nearly jumped out of my boots! So, after I got my popped back into the sockets, I asked people in one of the forums I haunt if this could be set to accurately track a satellite or other space-craft. And sure enough - a number of people said yes and they routinely went hunting for them for just such purpose.

I've since lost the instructions, but I'm sure you can find out if you desire to leap from your boots, to! :p

18. kevan hubbard

By a weird coincidence I was reading a book last night and it mentioned 'inter locking military telescopes'these where for watching missile launching.

19. Gabby76

Unfortunate you do not have any background on the optics.
    Typically military optics are Grade 1 glass so will be good.
    D&G, Company 7, iStar, Stellarvue and others all make optics for the American military.
    Even Al Nagler used to design optics systems for NASA.

20. Dave In Vermont

Yep. The US military has a bottomless-pit full of money to bathe in. They spend $750 for a toilet-seat. Their general's buy yachts. Then have the Navy sink them while the general gets a new one.

Each year!