Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

10 inch F/10 Refractor

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Scopejunkie, Jun 27, 2018.

10 inch F/10 Refractor

Started by Scopejunkie on Jun 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM

53 Replies 8044 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Still testing and tweaking. The lens had some astigmatism at high power when I first tested it. I was able, after 8 iterations, to reduce the astigmatism to where I'm finding it hard to see at 635x. I had to rotate the flint element about 100 degrees counterclockwise to the original alignment marks. Strange. The color correction continued to improve with each interation to where I hardly notice at all, in full daylight, on my artificial star test target at high power. Now my curosity is way up as to what type of glass is in this set. It has no where near the secondary color that I was expecting a typical doublet would have at F/10.

Now testing side by side with my 5" refractor. Setting up multiple AirForce high resolution optical test targets. This should prove interesting...

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Looks like you'll be ready for taking on Mars! 635X ?

Yipes!

D.

3. Scopejunkie

Here is the test setup and scopes. Using the distant telephone pole.

Attached Files:

4. Dave In Vermont

Good Lord!

Someone will think you're about to fire a bazooka at them, and dial 911! :eek: :p

Scopejunkie likes this.
  5. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I can't wait for pictures and a first light report.

Scopejunkie likes this.
  6. Scopejunkie

Just completed making a new collimatable focuser back plate. Thinking about splitting the tube into three components to make this scope easier to live with. Since I will have to set this scope up for use every night, three lighter weight tubes would be better for me in setup. In fact, unless the weather is bad, the whole thing will remain set up minus the end tubes holding the rear cell and the lens. Will brainstorm design later tonight.

I was going to use the massive DOB mount that came with the scope but I'm leaning toward a clock driven EQ mount. I have a large Cave Astrola EQ head and counter weights. I just have to find material for a pier. Having fun :)

Attached Files:

Nebula likes this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Very nice custom parts for the back plate, I will follow your thread up to the end @Scopejunkie ;)

Scopejunkie likes this.
  8. Dave In Vermont

Tell me, Keith (I'm terrible at remembering names, so I apologize in advance), is that focuser original equipment that came with the OTA? All aspects of this Gargantuan @circa. 1963 monster have me full of wonder! Right-down to cause of the yellow of ½ of the achromat. An old friend of mine worked for a small company that made optics' for the military during the Vietnam-War. He showed me one of the lenses, and it was rather dark, red-tinged. All that he was given regards 'final use' was "Maybe night-vision?"

And the red color was imparted in an extremely hot mini-furnace by the addition of Arsenic Trisulfide. As2S3. Which raised my eyebrows as As2S3 is yellow in color - otherwise known as the mineral Orpiment - and extremely high-tempertures maybe responsible for making it become red? Such the mystery.....

So the original wares on this gargantuan are provoking my curiosity. I know you say you made it - but was it once off the OTA? Or was this by scratch? I leave you with an artwork of the Garganutua...

Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais.jpg
    Dave

Nebula likes this.
  9. Scopejunkie

Hi Dave,

The focuser in the pic is a 2" Chinese refractor focuser. I'm only modifying the existing scope. The scope was originally white. The astronomer, at the college I got it from, spray painted it black. As you can see in the photo, it looks like it was painted from a can of spray paint. Yeech! Will fix that later after I rework all the knicks, scratches, and gouges on the OTA.

The telescope was manufactured by Thompson Optical Engineering Co. in 1962. There were two such scopes on the tracking platform. They were each mated to two different style cameras. The front element is coated and shows some age effects. It is slightly yellow. This has me wondering about the lens design too.

The color corection is quite good for a F/10 of this size. The scope came with the original blueprints. It looks like they made a 10" F/4, F/6, and F/10 models. The optical design parameters that the college advertised for the scope were for the F/6 model, not the F/10. The rear of the flint element is positive which usually means that the lens is corrected for coma. I can't wait to get it under the stars and planets!

Yes, the scope is a beast! I had to cut off the rear housing so I could make a new one for the Chinese focuser. The original rear housing was made from a 13" diameter 1-1/2" thick solid slab of aluminum. It had a central inner aluminum sleeve that housed a 6" diameter 2" thick steel housing that slid back and forth for focus adjustments. Quite heavy. I'm guessin' this mod droped 25lbs from the OTA. :eek:

Attached Files:

Gabby76, Dave In Vermont and Nebula like this.
  10. Dave In Vermont

Thanks! My God, that thing is enormous! :eek:

11. Scopejunkie

Whew! Got the scope up and mounted. I'm gettin' too old for these kinds of antics o_O Anyway, Jupiter was well seen at 240x. Lots of details. The moons were showing disks of differing sizes despite the 5/10 seeing. The color correction is very good. I was again surprised. Jupiter had a faint tight halo that was less than my 5" F/9 refractor. This is not a standard achromat. I'm guessing that the slightly yellow crown element is in fact a lanthanum lens. A 10" achromat at F/10 should have much more color. I pushed the lens to 420x on Jupiter trying to get the color to be more obvious but to my surprise it was less. My guess was a more precise focus. Saturn revealed all the usual details. The image was seeing limited. Altair revealed above average color correction as well.

250lpi glass ronchi revealed good spherical correction and a clean edge. Seeing was not good enough for critical star testing.

The DOB mount in the pic is a massive beast. Heavy, and a lot to move around. Buttery smooth motions? NOT! :eek::confused:o_O

Attached Files:

Nebula and Gabby76 like this.
  12. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

I was thinking that iStar Opitical in Czech Republic uses SiO2 broadband coatings on their achromats which are also very low CA.
    Their coatings also give a slight yellow hue to the lens.

13. Scopejunkie

This lens is over 50 years old (1962).

14. Scopejunkie

Tube now split into more easier to manage components. The end tubes will be removable with hand knobs. Since I can't afford an observatory yet, this will make the refractor much more managable when I set it up. Hope to clean up the ends and "tie" the tubes together tomorrow. My even take the beast up to the local astro summer hot spot for a run when it's all detailed out (Mt Pinos) Maybe the local refractor guys will let me hang out with them ;)

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  15. Dave In Vermont

'Let you hang out with them....?' They will likely elect you as their King!! :p

Good Lord! That thing is a monster with quite the history-lesson(s) attached. Missile - watching at the peak of the Cold-War. At a time when military-grade optics were made to the highest standards they could attain. Etc!

This would be of interest to many different university fields in many diverse fields of study - from the obvious astronomy classes - up to such as political-science and engineering. And so forth! Me thinks you may need a trailer to haul it around in. How much would you guess the whole thing will weigh-in at?

Don't overlook every aspect you can think of - right up to a little, red-flag for hanging off the tail of the thing so other motorists don't plow into it. :eek: :p

Wow!

Dave

16. Scopejunkie

The whole scope, Cave GEM included, should easily fit into my motorhome. The pic shows the tube couplers that I just finished. Long day. I might get them installed this evening.

Attached Files:

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  17. Scopejunkie

Well... I got half of the tube couplers installed. Hope to get back at it tomorrow. The removal of the tube ends reduces the main tube to just over 5ft long and also reduces the main tube weight by quite a bit. The tube spacing and holes are for cooling. Just like my former 8" refractors, there is a lot of glass to cool. Imagine having a 10" reflector with two primary mirrors back to back instead of one :eek: The lens has a .125" spacer ring. The "air" between the lenses can sometimes develop a heat bubble that appears in the out of focus diffraction pattern. I remember having a wide air space 6" F/15 that did that. This heat bubble puts a flair on stars. These mods should minimize or eliminate this affect. Fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

Dave In Vermont and Gabby76 like this.
  18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I like your custom parts, they look very precise and good looking! Looks promising.

Scopejunkie likes this.
  19. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

An interesting build.

20. Dave In Vermont

I'm with Nebs! Looking good with the tube-connectors job! Perhaps some dark stain or such?

A-1! Keep going!

Dave

Nebula and Scopejunkie like this.