Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Seer, Dec 19, 2018.

Started by Seer on Dec 19, 2018 at 7:53 AM

4 Replies 275 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Last night when I was out observing with my 10x50 binoculars I just had to look in on 1981. I just feel kind of sorry for it. I know it doesn't get the recognition that it deserves and is often overlooked and neglected because of its neighbors. :(

2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I just read that some say it looks like an Alligator or Crocodile. Now I'm going to have to go back and look at it again.

3. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Hey the crocodile is another Egyptian connection like the belt stars in Orion with the pyramids.

4. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

The Nile crocodile, the second biggest in the world was found in Egypt but I don't think any are left now.i didn't see any when I was there about 6 years ago!the saltwater crocodile is the biggest in the world and is found in northern Australian waters.many stars seem to have been important to the ancient Egyptians,one theory is that the great pryamid and the two next to it represent the belt of orion. I have my doubts.they are in a suburb of Cairo called Giza.lots,and I mean lots,of people will try to fleece you when you get there!

Seer likes this.
  5. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I have been to Egypt. I went through the Suez Canal a few times and was in Alexandria.
    I seen both alligators and crocodiles when I was in Florida. I came very close to being bit by an alligator one time when I was fishing in Florida. I got to look right down its throat. :eek:
    I seen a show one time about either alligators or crocodiles in Cuba. They are muscle bound there and look like they are on steroids.

I will be starting a Connect the Stars thread soon to help highlight asterisms and spawn searches for new ones. I'm sure this one will be included.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2018