Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

2 Silly Questions

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Pleiades, Jun 26, 2018.

2 Silly Questions

Started by Pleiades on Jun 26, 2018 at 1:19 PM

23 Replies 2203 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

1/ I hear a lot about ST80 refractors. what does the "ST" stand for?
    2/ With a equatorial mount, once it is Dialed in properly, I would think that you could locate objects by going to the address. Sort of like a hand cranking "go-to" Am I right about that, or are they just for tracking with the turn of the earth?

I've never had a EQ mount, and I live in a rural area, so my son and I make up the Astronomy club for our county. I wouldn't mind updating my refractor, and possible trying out this interesting mount.

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

'ST' could be 'Star Travel' (Sky-Watcher) or a reference to the fact that they are 'short tube' refractors.

I never use the setting circles on my EQ mounts. You can set the declination and right ascension with them though, apparently lol.

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

'ST' is usually thought to mean"Short Tube." But who knows?

Setting-Circles have been found to be notoriously inaccurate. But some have had great success with them. Especially the more modern digital type with encoders. With the advent of GoTo, I hardly hear about them. I tend to star-hop anyway.

Nebula likes this.
  4. Pleiades

That's exactly what I was afraid of, being inaccurate. Darn it! I was hoping for a cheat to help find a few things. There are always a few things on my viewing nights, that I just don't succeed in finding. Still, I may give one a try. Why not.

5. Dave In Vermont

Oh yes - do try! Your mileage may vary. Some setting-circles and mounts can be very accurate. Some folks swear by them.

6. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Typically Synta and JOC mounts the setting circles are more for show than use.
    As you go up in mount cost the circles become more accurate.
    Quite a few of the newer goto mounts do not even have them at all.
    Once you get used to it, star hopping is quite easy to do even with an EQ mount.

Nebula and Pleiades like this.
  7. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Yeah, star hopping rocks.

Nebula likes this.
  8. Pleiades

I primarily use a Dobs, but when I switch to the refractor then back, I feel like a drunk man in a corn maze. You know, one flips up and down the other left to right. I thought a RA Image correct finder would help, but that's like breaking out the Ole Tennessee #7. If I doesn't help me locate things, I figured an EQ would make me see double.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  9. Dave In Vermont

A fine description! :D:D:D!!!

But if you don't use a RACI Finder-Scope, every clear night will mean a trip ($$$) to your local Chiropractor followed by a Yoga Lesson. :eek:

:p

10. Gabby76

Well there is a very simple solution to the problem, get rid of the dob and stay using the EQ and refractor! :D

Pleiades and Dave In Vermont like this.
  11. Pleiades

Blasphemy!! LOL. :p
    No, I'm quiete attached to my Dobs. Below is how I feel about my astronomy discoveries with this scope. It was my first "Real scope". It's scary special to me. Ask my wife. LOL

12. Dave In Vermont

So your wife is a telescope-widow,eh? :D Seems to be a lot of that going around.....

:p

Pleiades likes this.
  13. Pleiades

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Tel...-Telescope/rc/2160/pc/-1/c/1/sc/22/p/9024.uts

I'm looking at several, but this is the one that's in the lead right now with my budget :oops:. I'll upgrade the EQ later. I'm heading to the Florida panhandle for a little fishing and Stargazing over the gulf beach. I don't have room for the Dobs, we are camping. My 60mm will likely be donated to someone while I am down there. It'll also fit in the back of my Yukon 4x4, for toting it various fields.

Night shark fishing, and stargazing till the bait alarm goes off. It'll be an interesting few nights. Hoping for a good mars view and a decent bull or blacktip. ;)

Gabby76 likes this.
  14. Pleiades

Yep. I hope to get her behind the scope on this Florida trip. Maybe Mars will flip her. Now she just looks at me in the mornings with a strange look as says, "How late were you out?".

15. Gabby76

16. Dave In Vermont

Let me guess? A $150ish Dual-Focus 1:10 Crayford?

Pleiades likes this.
  17. Gabby76

Nothing so drastic but always a good option :)
    Tweaking the focuser, better blackening (flocking) things like that.

Pleiades likes this.
  18. Pleiades

I'll only have two scopes, so I'll have to get a third before I can have a flock. Ha-ha!
    No. Seriously, Scope improvements is something I would like to learn a great deal more about.
    • My first easy improvement would be to upgrade the finderscope. The one that came on my Orion Skyquest, should be called a looser-scope.
    • Second would be an EQ tripod mount with a bit more weight to it.
    • And I already have a GSO diagonal.
    Beyond that, I am lost. I'm still pretty new to this hobby. August will be my one year anniversary in astronomy. There isn't a club in my area, and little interest in one here. The mean education level where I live is below HS, and illiteracy is a serious problem here. These are good people, but astronomy isn't a popular activity here. Odd, because we have some really dark hollows. That being said, the crew here is my "Astronomy club". I learn everything from this site and books. Scope improvements is a topic I will have to dig deeper into.

19. Gabby76

When looking at mounts knowing the total weight of your telescope is important.
    Total all the weight (telescope/ accessories and your heaviest eyepiece) then add at a minimum 1/3 more. For a 15lb package x 0.33= 4.95lbs so the minimum mount would be a EQ-4 with a 20lb capacity.
    If you are planning to purchase heavier accessories in the near future add them to the calculation so your not under mounted when the time comes.

20. Pleiades

Thanks G! That's some good info.