Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

And Mars is moving away!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Avani Soares, Sep 3, 2018.

And Mars is moving away!

Started by Avani Soares on Sep 3, 2018 at 9:28 PM

13 Replies 302 Views 5 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Avani Soares

Avani Soares Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    After the opposition the diameter diameter display is quite fast as well as the phase increase.
    In this photo we can see Olympus Mons as an orange spot near 01:00 hs and at exactly 9:00 there is a clear line that at first I thought it was a defect in the photograph but then when I went to check I realized it was Aeolis Mensae which has a network of Valleys in that location.
    It is interesting to note how some formations changed their appearance due to the storm.

Ed D, Nebula, PXR-5 and 2 others like this.
  2. PXR-5

PXR-5 Member

Just as the Summer clouds start to dissipate.

Haven't had a decent night yet with Mars :(

Avani Soares likes this.
  3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@PXR-5 you are not alone in this pain.. same thing here, nothing really decent either.

Avani Soares likes this.
  4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Beautiful image. The terminator is now visibly creeping along the surface visible to us, which your image captured well. I also find the subtle surface changes quite interesting.

Like PXR-5 and Nebula, this apparition of Mars has been plagued with bad tropical weather. Adding insult to injury, I have been so busy that I have been unable to enjoy most of the scant few nights of decent viewing. Oh well!

Ed D

Avani Soares likes this.
  5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Avani told me that he pretty much agrees with my theory that it is a good, close approach which is what this one was is what triggers these Dust-Storms in the first place. In 2003 we had the nearest approach in about 60,000 years. And the same thing happened: A planet-covering Dust-Storm came rolling out - even worse than this one. That one was like a very thick yellow blanket. You couldn't make out any surface-details whatsoever.

I leave you an Earthly Dust-Storm photo in Australian waters.

Australian Dust Storm.jpg
    Australian Dust-Storm approaching

Dave

Avani Soares and PXR-5 like this.
  6. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I was enjoying mars night before last. I'm just hoping it continues to clear. Maybe sometime before Halloween, I'll have good seeing.

7. Avani Soares

I've been correcting a stacking artifact that existed in a straight line coming out exactly at 9 am!

Attached Files:

• h.png
      h.png
      File size:
      109.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Dave In Vermont

Você poderia explicar o que você significa para nós, não-fotógrafos, por aí? Eu, por exemplo, gostaria de entender o que isso significa, por favor.

Dave

trans -

Could you explain what you mean to us non-photographers out there? I, for one, would like to understand what this means, please.

9. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Dave, you are correct about close approaches. I took an online course offered by Cal Tech in which Dr Mike Brown explained how the seasonal patterns and surface temperatures affect the migration of CO2 and water vapor, as well as dust. Mars, now being closer to the Sun, is subject to increased heating causing the changes.

Ed D

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  10. Dave In Vermont

That's some most welcome information, Ed. Thank you! I am an MIT affiliate myself, and I think I'll be sending a letter off to CalTech about having an address or such for Dr. Brown out there. Excellent conclusion, of sorts, for the Martian Dust-Storm / Opposition of 2018!

Thank you, Ed - you made my week!

Dave

11. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I took the online class several years ago. It was offered through www.coursera.org and was offered to seniors free of charge. You may be interested in checking out the Coursera website to see what they have to offer.

BTW, it was Dr Brown who demoted Pluto to Dwarf Planet status. His reasoning was that Pluto did not fit the scientific definition of a planet.

As an old geezer soon to be fully retired I plan on pursuing academic courses to enrich my knowledge that are available either online or at universities, usually free of cost or for a ridiculously low fee, around $5 or $10.

Ed D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    PXR-5 likes this.
  12. Dave In Vermont

As an MIT Affiliate account holder, it shouldn't cost me anything. It's reciprocal system that all other universities recognize, and we're entitled to the same treatment a visiting professor is afforded - as that university is given at MIT. Hence my education didn't cost me a dime.

Sweet deal! :p

So Dr. Brown skunked Pluto? Of this should be fun! :D

Thanks again, Ed!

D.

13. Avani Soares

[QUOTE = "Dave In Vermont, post: 19877, member: 1885"] Você pode explicar o que você quer dizer, não fotógrafos, por aí? Eu, por exemplo, gostaria de entender o que isso significa, por favor.

Dave

trans -

Você poderia explicar o que você significa para nós, não-fotógrafos, por aí? Eu, por exemplo, gostaria de entender o que isso significa, por favor. [/ QUOTE]

Olá Dave!
    Muitas vezes ao se empilhar fotos de um filme no AS!2 não escolhemos as configurações adequadas e isso pode gerar artefatos na foto empilhada. Na fotos de início do tópico existe um desses artefatos em forma de linha que começa na borda esquerda às 9hs e se prolonga em direção ao centro. Na segunda foto consegui corrigir esse defeito alterando o tamanho dos pontos de alinhamento. Se ainda não entendeu me diga!

14. Dave In Vermont

Bem explicado, Avani. Obrigado!

Avani Soares likes this.