Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Astrophotography For Cavemen?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Zigarro, Feb 18, 2017.

Astrophotography For Cavemen?

Started by Zigarro on Feb 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM

8 Replies 1982 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

Really hated to have to display my newby-ignorance here, but I want to take pictures of those wonders I'm seeing. The only camera I have at present is a Nikon "CoolPix" point & shoot. I bought an Orion Steady Pix Deluxe but the Cool Pix's 1/4-20 hole is too far to the left and I can't get the camera's lens to center on my scope's eye piece. Beside that, the "to & fro" slider is poorly machined and sticks, requiring filing to loosen it up.
    What I need to learn is the rock-bottom basics of how to connect either a DSLR or a CCD to the scope and get a bloody picture? Is this accomplished with or w/o an eye piece, and/or a camera lens? So far, I've only captured the moon by hand-holding my little camera to the eye piece and snapping the picture. There has to be a better way...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Hi, Z. Good news - there is a better way (or at least a more precise way). You can use a T-ring to connect a DSLR camera directly to the telescope. You're basically using your telescope as the camera lens. It's important that you find the specific T-ring for your camera model. Here's a good article to read:
    www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how-to-use-a-digital-camera-with-a-telescope/

Beware - astrophotography is fun and rewarding but can get pretty expensive as you progress! I've got two space cams in addition to my DSLR and I'm trying to navigate the "slippery slope", lol. Best wishes with your setup. Can't wait to see some images. :)

Clear skies,
    Reggie

Zigarro likes this.
  3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Z, I ordered a ZWO camera, which should be here this Tuesday. In a nutshell, what I hope to accomplish is electronically assisted astronomy to 'see' DSOs in my light polluted environment, as well as dabble in planetary and lunar imaging. I'll be reporting my experiences, from startup pains to any successes, which can maybe help you. I'm pretty green at this, too.

If you already have the DSLR the T-Ring adapter Reggie mentioned would be a very good and economical way to image. Does your scope mount have tracking? With the DSLR you can either take long exposures, or short videos (?) that you can process with something like Registax, I believe.

Ed D

Zigarro likes this.
  4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

BTW, I'm not a caveman, although my daughters tell me I'm a barbarian. Birds of a feather? :)

Ed D

Zigarro likes this.
  5. Zigarro

So- the camera body joins a T-adapter at the focuser. If there's no camera lens or eye piece in the chain, how does one achieve magnification? Is it only through the objective lens? Also, most EOS cameras I've seen have no screw hole in the shutter release for attaching a remote release cable. Is the shutter activated by touch? and doesn't that introduce vibration?
    I mention EOS because I read an article that said Canon cameras were superior for astrophotography due to some tech-aspect or other.

6. Zigarro

Thanks, Ed. I read Brian & Manish's article on ZWOs and while I like the idea of a CCD, I don't yet have a laptop with which to employ such a camera. Good luck with yours and I'll be watching for posts detailing your progress!

7. Orion25

The camera with T-ring attaches directly to the scope so you're using the focal length of your scope as the mag. Now, if you needed more mag, you could introduce a Barlow lens between the T-ring and the scope. I'm not that familiar with the EOS cameras, but what I do with my Nikon is set the timer to release the shutter. In my experience, I haven't gotten any noticeable vibration from using the timer. I forgot to mention that you will need an R.A. motor drive for your EQ mount to get longer exposure photos without trailing. Was the article I posted helpful?

Reggie

Zigarro likes this.
  8. Zigarro

Ah- the timer! Forgot about that! I've been away from SLRs for some time and it'll be awhile before I can get another.
    I have printed out that article so I can read it as I step out for a cigar. When I come back, I'll watch their vid. Thanks Reg!

* Read the brief article & watched the vid- I've watched his vids on YouTube and I like his presentations. It looks like the best course is to start with a DSLR and once I'm comfy with that, I can move up to CCD if I feel the need.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  9. Orion25

Sounds good, Z! Enjoy that cigar :)