Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark IV Review - Discussion

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by AstronomyConnect, Jan 22, 2018.

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark IV Review - Discussion

Started by AstronomyConnect on Jan 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM

1 Replies 306 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. AstronomyConnect

AstronomyConnect Staff

In 2017, Baader Planetarium released the fourth generation of their Hyperion Universal 8-24mm Zoom eyepiece. This 'Mark IV' incarnation touts the following improvements over the previous Mark III:

• Focal lengths 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24mm have clearly defined and "smoothed-out" Clickstop Action (a must-have for effortless binoviewing)
    • Long eye relief, perfectly matched to the human eye
    • Flat field design — sharp right to the edge of field
    • High Quality Phantom Coating™ Group multicoatings for maximum contrast and minimal reflection, and for improving the views of faint objects
    • A large adjustable rubber eyecup, smaller straight rubber eyecup, and a winged, foldable eyecup to fit over M43 photo/video-thread
    • M43-video-photo thread for afocal and classical projection photography, permitting optional adaptation of practically any camera with optional accessories
    • Includes 2" and 1¼" barrel, usable for all 1¼" binoculars with detachable eye-rest and spotting scopes with 1-⅜" thread (Celestron/Sky-Watcher and others)

The eyepiece comes in an attractive box with a multitude of accessories including a choice of 2" or 1.25" barrels, three different eye guards, multiple top caps, as well as a carry pouch with belt loop. It is quite a versatile eyepiece with various threading options allowing it to be directly connected to cameras and scopes.

Continue Reading Here...

2. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

I have been sharing this report with many people. I am a HUGE advocate of the BHZ. Thanks for an excellent review.

This is my favorite eyepiece.
    • I never expected the zoom eyepiece to become my primary eyepiece, but it has.
    • With the BHZ zoom, the eyepiece seems to disappear as you just move in and out at will, no swapping, no thinking about eyepiece changes
    • The Baader Hyperion is great and comparable to my Explore Scientific eyepieces
    • Watching doubles split as I rotate the barrel is wonderful
    • One filter serves over a wide range of magnifications, no screwing and unscrewing to try other eyepieces
    • Moving smoothly from and between small changes in magnification helps when seeing is not the best
    • I am always working at the optimum magnification for this target.
    • Sharing the view with others is easier, especially in my manual tracking Dob - I hand it over at low mag so it stays in the view longer. They zoom back in to whatever magnification works best for them.
    • My eyepiece case has been greatly simplified
    • Kids love the zoom

Nebula, george and Dave In Vermont like this.