Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Being happy with what you have

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Pleiades, Oct 30, 2018.

Being happy with what you have

Started by Pleiades on Oct 30, 2018 at 5:07 AM

12 Replies 468 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

This early Am, I was putting up my gear, from last night's time with M25 & Saturn, when a thought occurred to me. "I'm happy with what I have." . No, I'm not done. I intend on swapping my SvBonny 40mm, with a Vixen 30mms Plossl sometime soon, and picking up a Baader Neodymium filter. What I mean, is that what I've accumulated and using is serving my needs well. I'm happy with what I have. This allows me to spend my money on books to increase my knowledge, rather than spending my hard earned money on replacing a poor purchase decision. I don't own gear that would necessarily be impressive to anyone, but certainly not junk. I'm going to try and remember that when I'm browsing the e-market. So many temptations out there. But what I really want is to explore my universe. If a new tool or gadget will help me do that, and I can afford one, I'll but it. Otherwise, I'm going to save my money so a can justify a Maksutov!!

Gabby76 likes this.
  2. Pleiades

Who am I kidding. I've got a problem. My name is Andy and it's been 10 days since my last astronomy purchase.

PXR-5, Nebula, Gabby76 and 2 others like this.
  3. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

I don't think you have a problem. If so, I think I have the same disease. I had some astronomy friends ask me why I couldn't be content with one scope since I had gone through so many over the decades. I guess my "wiring" likes new or new to me scopes and eyepieces. It's a lot like driving a car to work. Though you take the same dull road everyday, the drive somehow seems new with a new car. In fact, with a new car you can't wait to drive that old road! This is why I design and build. The sky seems refreshed when I use a new scope. We all remember the joy we received from using our first scope. New scopes and accessories allow me to get a bit of that special joy back.

I temper my scope madness with a special bank account used just for astro stuff. My hobby is self supporting. If I want more stuff, I have to sell some stuff!

PXR-5 and Pleiades like this.
  4. Pleiades

Roger that. I'm thinking about selling a Canon EOS 1D Mark II, and a couple of lenses. Churning the cash into astronomy.

5. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Meh, you're never done in this hobby, and I have the three scopes in my signature to prove it. Plus I want a fourth. And I want some new eyepieces. Just 'cause.

This is a very equipment-heavy hobby, and it's nice to upgrade from "good enough" to "much better" or even "the best", which of course, is TeleVue. It's just the nature of things - we want what we don't/can't have. We're never satisfied, even when we proclaim that we are.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to a Buddhist monastery to renounce all material possessions for a month.

Not.

PXR-5 likes this.
  6. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

This is a very equipment-heavy hobby, and it's nice to upgrade from "good enough" to "much better" or even "the best", which of course, is TeleVue.

There is still much learning to do grasshopper. :D

Pleiades likes this.
  7. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

I am happy with what I got.
    I have been upgrading EPs to TV and buying some filters.
    I do still look at stuff that I would like, but not really needing.
    I think my next move will be to a 12" mirror, either buying or buying the mirrors and building it myself.

What am I saying, I am going to pull the trigger on a TV OIII within the next couple days.
    So I don't know.:D

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I am happy with what I have too. At some point I reach a stable plateau... lately I decided to improve my comfort with my current kit by building an adjustable chair.. and adjusting my tripod height (incredible upgrade). For the rest, telescope, eyepiece, filters, ... it would be pure luxury.

Being able to concentrate on the stars for an observation, for me, that's the main source of joy.

Gabby76 and Pleiades like this.
  9. Pleiades

I understand that Nebula. I guess I'm still a little green. But I search and find a new object, then go in and read all I can about that object. After, on my next viewing night, I just have to find it again.

Gabby76 likes this.
  10. Gabby76

Actually that is a good practice.
    It lets you get familiar with the surrounding area and you can use it as a stepping stone to other objects.
    You then become even more familiar with that area.

When looking at new equipment, ask yourself this:
    Will this enhance my time observing?
    What will it enable me to do more of easier than with what I have now?

Pleiades and Scopejunkie like this.
  11. PXR-5

PXR-5 Member

This hobby should and can be about the sky and knowledge, but new gear is fun ;)

Pleiades, Scopejunkie and Gabby76 like this.
  12. Gabby76

If I could get all my money back that I spent on useless astronomy gear over the last 30+ years I would have my dream refractor sitting in the observatory out back already :)

Always fun to get new gear though :)

Pleiades, Scopejunkie and PXR-5 like this.
  13. Don Pensack

Don Pensack Vendor

What do you do if you're happy with your eyepiece sets and your scopes?
    Spend more time observing.
    Ah, there's the rub.

Gabby76 and Pleiades like this.