Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Best clear sky charts?

Discussion in 'Astronomy Software, Apps, and Websites' started by Fred, Oct 6, 2016.

Best clear sky charts?

Started by Fred on Oct 6, 2016 at 9:44 AM

8 Replies 1455 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Fred

Fred Member

Anybody know what's the most accurate and easy to use clear sky charts?

I've been using ClearDarkSky.com for a long time, but ClearOutside.com seems to work well too. Anybody know if one is more accurate than the other? Are there any others out there?

-Fred

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

3. ghostdance

ghostdance Active Member

Yep, Meteoblue and Clear Outside are the two I've used. I'll have to check out Clear Dark Sky, so thanks!

4. Luling_Skies

Luling_Skies Member

I use ClearSkyCharts and recently have also used ClearOutside. Both seem reasonably good for rain and temperature prediction within 2-3 days. However neither are good predictors of cloud cover here in southeastern Louisiana where the prevailing winds are from the Gulf of Mexico. I'll start monitoring Meteoblue and see how it goes.

5. Mak the Night

I think being able to see (virtually) real time satellite cloud pictures and overall patterns is a definite session decider for me.

6. Fred

Fred Member

Yes, I guess these charts get their forecasts from the same place and then dress them up to be useful for astronomy. Forecasting is hard work, especially in unsettled areas around big lakes or oceans.

I remember reading how Percival Lowell took a big telescope to Chile in the late 1800s to observe Mars. The place was so dry-- it hadn't rained in decades-- that he didn't have to cover his expensive telescopes during the months-long trip. That's the kind of forecast I need! The wife might not like the prospects for growing a garden, however!

7. Fred

Fred Member

I agree... pictures from space don't lie.

8. bventrudo

bventrudo Staff

I used the Clear Dark Sky charts for years, and I still do. But the Clear Outside forecast is often quite different and often more accurate for my location in the mid-Atlantic. Sometimes they are both right, sometimes they are both wrong. But Clear Outside seems to have an edge. It also shows the timing of apparitions of the ISS which is useful.

-Brian

9. Mak the Night

Be nice if they did sometimes ... ;)

space.jpg