Dismiss Notice
We were experiencing issues with a server migration and upgrade to the underlying platform. Everything should be up and running now, but if you notice any issues with the site please head over to Report and Issue Forums to let us know. If you are unable able to do so, free to email me directly atgeorge@astronomyconnect.com. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
-George

Best Observation of Jupiter, Ever and report on Baader Hyperion Zoom

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by aeajr, Apr 14, 2017.

Best Observation of Jupiter, Ever and report on Baader Hyperion Zoom

Started by aeajr on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM

3 Replies 111 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

4-15-17 - 10:20 to 11:45 pm Seeing 4/5. Trans variable between 2/5 and 3/5.
    GSO 2" 2X barlow, Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom, Celestron 8-24 Zoom, ES 82 6.7 mm, Meade UWA 5.5 and HD60 4.5
    Filters - 25% moon, Orion Skyglow, 82A

Tonight was about Jupiter and really testing out the used Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24 that I picked up about a month ago. It was a great night to do this.

I had my GSO 2X 2" barlow in the scope and had the best images of Jupiter with the Hyperion between 12mm and 10 mm, or between 6 mm/200X and 5 mm equivalent/240X. I did take it to 8 mm/4mm equiv for 300X and, while the image showed no more detail it wasn't that bad. I was impressed.

I compared it to the Celestron zoom in the same GSO barlow. Results were similar but the image in the Hyperion was clearly better and wider and sharper to the edges. The Celestron image suffered more after reaching 10mm/5 mm in the barlow. But if I did not have the Baader the Celestron would have gotten more time.

I compared the Baader Zoom to my Meade 82 5.5 mm/218X with no barlow. Quite good but not significantly better than the Hyperion Zoom in the barlow at a similar FL.

I compared it to my ES 82 6.7/179X. This image was very good but at less magnification and again the zoom compared very well.

I tried my Mead HD60 4.5/266X but was not pleased with the image. This eyepiece is not up to the others I was testing.

I spent most of the observation with the Hyperion. At times I had a very sharp image for 2-3 seconds at a time and I could adjust slightly shorter, slightly longer to optimize the image.

I can see that this zoom will become my new favorite eyepiece in my XT8i.

I could see the GRS in the top band ( in my Newtonian) about 1/4 of the planet from the right. By time I was ending the GRS was about center planet. I was also able to see some detail in the main cloud bands. And there was well defined shading with variations toward the poles. I have never seen this level of detail before in any scope.

This was absolutely my best observation session on Jupiter.

The Baader Zoom is now my favorite eyepiece, at least for the XT8i

Zigarro likes this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice report, Ed. It's good to know that the Baader Zoom compares very well to good eyepieces, especially when barlowed. Planetary details are a tough test for any eyepiece.

Ed D

3. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

The Seeing this week has been outstanding. My friend just filed a Jupiter report with a 14" XX14i and he was able to get very good results up to 300X. He could push 400X but was very sold at 300. That compared to my best in the 200 to 240X.

Shows you what some extra aperture can do for you.

jgroub likes this.
  4. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Those GSO 2" Barlows are really nice - optically. Just beware of the silly-design of the 2" to 1.25" adapter that comes with it. I've had the brass compression-band come dislodged and foul-up so I had to force my eyepiece out of it - and the adapter was a total loss.

Fortunately I had a spare adapter - but without the silly canal and lower compression-band.

Enjoy Jupiter all!

Dave