Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Bino-Night

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Pleiades, Jun 14, 2018.

Bino-Night

Started by Pleiades on Jun 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM

1 Replies 137 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

We were replacing 8" cattle fence post today, and a realized, I'm getting old. I am a new kind of tired. So tonight will be a Bino-Night. LOL

2. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

Speaking of bino nights:

6/17/18

Had a wonderful Father’s day. About 9:30 everyone was gone. Watched some TV till 11, then stepped outside to see a clear sky. I really wanted to get out but was pretty tired. Still, not too tired to grab a few minutes with my 15X70s on the monopod.

6-8-18 11:15 – 11:30 pm Clear sky, no moon Celestron 15X70 Skymasters on Oberwerk binocular monopod.

First stop Vega, confirming with the double double near it. When I first started, all I had was binoculars. Vega was my touch stone, my starting point for each night’s observing session. And so it was tonight.

Northern Cross - From Vega I picked out Altair and Deneb to form the summer triangle. Then from Deneb through Sadir to Albireo to form the northern cross.

Albireo – I could just barely see Albireo naked eye. In the 15X70s I could just barely split the double star into its two beautifully colored stars.

Coat Hanger – Half way between Albireo and Altai lies the coat hanger. One of the first asterism I learned that was not visible naked eye.

Double star – I took a little tour around Deneb, with no specific target. About 5 degrees below Deneb was a beautiful pair of stars, one blue and one red as I recall. Not sure if this was a true double but they were in close proximity. Similar to Alberio, but wider in the 15X binoculars. Consulting Stellarium I have not been able to identify them but they looked really pretty in the binos, and that is enough to make them worth finding.

Jupiter – A quick hop to Jupiter to spot the moons. They were lined up in a nice neat line, one on the left and 3 on the right. Jupiter was just a bright ball in the binoculars.

G J I E C

Saturn – I knew Saturn should be up so I looked around till I spotted what I figured should be Saturn. No details or rings but clearly not a star. In the 15X binos I could detect a slight oval to the bright object that confirmed it was Saturn.

Mars – Still too low for me to see it past the buildings. But even if I did, in the binos it would just be a reddish dot.

11:30 – Got my astronomy fix for the night. Into the house, write up this report then off to bed. Hopefully the sky will clear for the ASLI Outreach event at the Bosti School Monday night.

Clear skies!

Ed Anderson

Pleiades likes this.