Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

C14 Primary Retaing Ring Mod

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Scopejunkie, Sep 21, 2018.

C14 Primary Retaing Ring Mod

Started by Scopejunkie on Sep 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM

2 Replies 390 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

All,

Though this is not telescope making, it is a telescope mod. I'm hoping that this might help someone that has a large SCT the won't maintain "star level" collimation. I noticed on my "OLD" C-14 that the collimation would shift when viewing different parts of the sky. I'm not talking about gross mirror tilt. I'm speaking of the type of primary tilt that shifts the diffraction ring on an in focus star at high power (300x or greater).

My scope has really great optics so this minor tilt became quite annoying to this multiple star observer. When I pulled the primary the retaining ring was still in contact with the primary but was not "tight." I installed 3 nylon tipped set screws (10-24) into the retaining ring. I reinstalled the ring tight then screwed down the set screws firm but not overly tight. The problem appears to be fixed. After star level collimation (in focus) the first diffraction ring has remained centered on the airy disk over the past week of observations. We shall see how well this works long term.

I made this mod because I don't want to have to take this scope apart ever again for as long as I own it.

Keith (Scopejunkie)

Attached Files:

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Wow! You're brave to have done this very well planned-out fix! My congratulations as well as amazement!

Those Nylon® - Screws/Bolts are excellent parts to have on-hand. Every well-equipped astronomer should have-get these and add them to the kit.

All The Best.

Dave

<edit> wrong placement

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  3. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Well... after almost 4 months of consistent observing and cold winter nights, no change in collimation at all. :)The testing continues...

Attached Files: