Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Ceres and Vesta.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Jun 9, 2018.

Ceres and Vesta.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jun 9, 2018 at 7:34 AM

5 Replies 76 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

A few years ago now I successfully spied both of these asteroids, well not technically asteroids as Ceres is a dwarf planet and Vesta a proto planet(or perhaps I've got it the wrong way around?!)and now they appear to be well placed again,well Ceres is much higher. Probably is for those of us north of about the 40th parallel is the serious lack of real darkness in may,June and July.has anyone spotted these two naked eye?Vesta is 5.2 mag.but rather low in Sagittarius so should be visible at that magnitude but atmospheric thickness will act to dim it at its low declination. Ceres is probably too dim about 7 mag.but much higher in Leo.

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Nebula likes this.
  3. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I spotted a similar thing. I just realised that a third 'astroid'may hover around the threshold of naked eye,in very good conditions, Pallas which can get to about 6.5 mag..Ceres would seem to be similar at its brightest however Vesta beats them hands down at 5.2!I've never seen Pallas but saw Vesta and Ceres I'd guess about 4 years ago when they where last around here.

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the document @Dave, I want to try to locate 4 Vesta during my next observation, Ceres has well.

I like when I find new ideas of things to search by chance like that. :)

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Ha! I just noticed the article I posted as a pdf. is still up here. Universe Today - the one called 'Astro Challenge' to your right.

I'm using CdC to find asteroids. I have them marked as bright yellow stars. Here's an example I took a screenshot of. Pallas is around - found it in the CdC charts. It's to the lower-left of the description in the chart itself - at about 8:00AM:

Pallas in CdC.png

Happy Hunting!

Nebula likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Nice, I should install carte du ciel again sometime it's a very good astronomy software. If I succed tonight, Vesta will be my first asteroid observation to this day.