Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

colonels deering and klebb.

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by kevan hubbard, Jul 8, 2018.

colonels deering and klebb.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jul 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM

22 Replies 521 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Sort of space related. I was watching an interview with Erin gray, who played colonel Wilma deering(or is it Dearing?) In buck Rogers(Rogers not Rodgers!) In the 25th century.gray claimed that she thought she was the first woman to play a colonel on TV. Got me thinking.... Not quite true.Rosa klebb in a 1960s Shaun Connery bond movie,I forget it's name was a KGB, and spectre double agent,colonel,colonel klebb.Technically the bond movie was released for the cinema but due to it's age I'm guessing it had been shown on TV by the time buck Rogers aired in 1979?for the record colonel deering is rather more pleasant than colonel klebb!

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Lotte Lenya wasn't a real colonel, you realise that right?

Don't spend too long in the sun in this weather.

3. kevan hubbard

....but colonel deering was!a kick from colonel klebb was to be best avoided a handy chair might keep her at bay.

4. Mak the Night

Some people will do anything for kicks.

5. kevan hubbard

"She got the point" although that was actually another one "he got the point" but would have been appropriate for colonel klebbs demise.

6. Mak the Night

I think Mackie Messer got the point.

7. kevan hubbard

Interestingly colonel deering was married to a real military man,some kind of officer but not up in the colonel or general league. His job was to debrief prisoners during the Vietnam war, I'm not sure what debriefing entailed in those days,but it left him with post traumatic stress problems after the war.they got divorced and she used a time machine to move forward to the 25th century.

8. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Ah, lest you forget. Colonel Klebb was an ex-colonel. She had been kicked out of the service by the time we first saw her on-screen.

This leaves Colonel Wilma Deering as the first active-duty female colonel.

http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/11675317/400full-wilma-deering.jpg

Man, did I have a crush on her! Thank you, inventor of spandex! We oughta erect a monument to you!

Heh, heh, see what I did there? Okay, I'll just see myself out.

Dave In Vermont and Orion25 like this.
  9. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

:D:D:D

10. Mak the Night

Well, I'm guessing Lotte Lenya didn't wear so much spandex (or was it lycra?).

Screenshot 2018-07-09 at 23.35.04.png

But did Erin Gray know anything about Verfremdungseffekt?

Screenshot 2018-07-09 at 23.44.08.png

11. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

LYCRA® is DuPont's brand of elastane, or spandex.

12. kevan hubbard

You might be right but I thought that colonel klebb was still in the employ of the KGB in 'from Russia with love'only a double agent serving spectre too?recent events in and around the city of Salisbury, England, would suggest that it is not very easy to leave the KGB or it's successor?well not alive and with a trail of collateral damage. Although they failed, so perhaps it was someone else,mi5/6,CIA, etc,trying to make the Russians look bad?I guess we'll never know? Now the space vampire in buck Rogers is a good one.the vampire looks like it has stumbled in from the set of 'plan 9 from outer space'!it takes over colonel deering, however as,with his 20th century knowledge of such superstitious nonsense, vampires don't like sunlight buck developed a cunning plan to fly the vampire into a star!star gates is how they got around the problems of the vast distances between stars in the 25th century, I believe anti matter was used to hold them open?how I know not since it should explode on contact with matter? Although finding and making anti matter is something of a challenge in our 21st century.

13. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Number 1: You're sure she believes you're still head of operations for Soviet Intelligence?

Klebb: It is most unlikely she would know I'm now working for SPECTRE. Moscow kept my defection secret from all but a few members of the presidium.

Ah, Google! Able to shut down arguments in a single bound!

14. kevan hubbard

That's the answer then!klebb still wore her KGB uniform in the film.interesting higher military officers use their title after they have retired, eg/general Henry Jones(retired) but you never get corporal John black(retired)! I don't think any of my various family members who joined up either through choice or because the state made them ever got beyond the rank of sargent.I believe buck Rogers was a captain.

15. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Read the dialogue from the movie again. She didn't retire. She defected. And she wore her uniform specifically to convince the beautiful Russian embassy employee to "do some spy work" for Russia.

16. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

You're both crazy! It was obvious! A 'Slam Dunk!'

They had an Apple computer. So MicroSoft wacked 'em!

Sheeeesh! So bloody obvious!

Bela Lugosi

17. Mak the Night

Wow thanks. You live and learn! lol

18. kevan hubbard

A green uniform if I recall was what colonel klebb wore,stolen from her former employers in Moscow we have learnt!colonel deering got to wear blue,red and white uniforms, not at the same time! The USSR also had,and Russia still has,a military intelligence service too,the GRU. It's reported that even the head of the supreme soviet needed to pass through security to enter the GRU HQ. There was,and is,an intense rivalry between the KGB, fsb now,and GRU. People draw parallels between the FBI and CIA but that's not really valid as the FBI are really just a souped up national police force,with,apart from the FBI police (an oxymoron the FBI are police!) Who guard FBI offices,100 plain clothes detective style officers or agents as they call them.the KGB operated,and still does,more like an internal army,with military units completely apart from the red army. See the film 'the death of Stalin'too see some of these NKVD, the Stalin era name for the KGB, in action.I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of them!

19. Mak the Night

20. kevan hubbard

Well it sounded good if a tad,only a tad I hold,out of context!