Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Connect the Stars

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Jan 2, 2019.

Connect the Stars

Started by Seer on Jan 2, 2019 at 11:05 AM

22 Replies 696 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This thread is about ASTERISMS. I thought about calling it Show Us Your Asterisms but decided not to.
    This thread is for all asterisms, the commonly known ones, the lesser known ones, and hopefully the newly discovered ones. All manor of depictions are welcome be it hand or computer drawn or embellished photos.

jgroub likes this.
  2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is one of Ed D's photos showing the Alpha-Persei Cluster that I embellished to show the asterism of a goose. I did NOT discover this asterism. I found it in the book SKY & TELESCOPE STARGAZING SERIES Binocular Highlights by GARY SERONIK.

3. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is my hand drawn picture of an asterism in the Pleiades and what I think it resembles.

4. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is a Stellarium screenshot that I embellished in Paint to help show the NGC 1981 Alligator / Crocodile Asterism.
    I did NOT discover this asterism and I can't currently remember where I learned about it.

5. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

It hasn't been necessary up to this point yet (I think) but I can see where in the future it may be necessary for one or two of the stars in or nearby an asterism to be labeled to aid in finding it.

6. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is a Stellarium screenshot showing the Coathanger asterism / Brocchi's Cluster / Cr 399 that is in constellation VULPECULA. I don't even need to draw any lines in order to help show it.

7. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is an embellished Stellarium screenshot that I just made using the Smiley Face asterism in AURIGA to try an depict the Cheshire Cat. Your imagination needs to come into play a little here.

8. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I was trying to do the Polaris Engagement Ring but I just can't get it to come together.

9. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Looks like most of the stars in the Polaris Engagement Ring are between 8th and 9th magnitude. I should be able to come up with something using a Stellarium screenshot and paint.

10. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Chasing down asterisms can be a lot of fun. :)

Seer likes this.
  11. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is my shot at portraying the Polaris Engagement Ring Asterism. It is an embellished Stellarium screenshot. A few other stars could have been included in the ring. I'm not a big fan of this one.

12. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I was doing a little research trying to find some other asterisms. I found that there are some smaller versions of the larger constellations. The most promising ones look to be Little Cassopeia (Lacerta) and Mini Cassopeia (1 degree 5 minutes away from Chi Dra). Wouldn't it be GREAT to do a side by side comparison of the 3 of them? Of course they are different size wise and seeing that would be interesting but seeing how closely the layout of the stars matches each other would also be interesting.
    I'm having some trouble with Little Orion and no luck at all with the Mini Coathanger.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. Gabby76

What is your viewing area like?
    It might be a benefit to make a list and then head to a darker site.

14. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I have been judging by naked eye limiting magnitude. I haven't been doing it long but the best I seem to get is 4 (I can see naked eye down to 4th magnitude stars).
    I can not travel like how you say.

15. Gabby76

Seer likes this.
  16. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Look at the Quick View of Requirements. It doesn't make sense. It says Uses Eyes, Binoculars, and Telescopes. Then it says Minimum Instrument Size 6 inch.

17. Gabby76

It depends on which program you are looking at.
    Some state a minimum size to make it challenging.
    For the asterism list the 150mm aperture is needed to see the complete list but you can download the list and look for the ones you can see with your equipment.
    There are beginner, novice and advanced lists also.

18. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

We are having an ice storm here today so I am trapped inside for a boring day.
    I took this screenshot from Stellarium of Mini Cassiopeia that is right next to Chi Dra. It is one of my planed future targets. There are 3 sizes of Cassiopeia asterisms and this is the smallest.

Gabby76 likes this.
  19. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I have been looking at Mel 111 on Stellarium and internet photos trying to find any asterisms in it because it may be one of my targets tomorrow morning. The best that I came up with so far is the Was Sceptre or possibly a battle axe.
    Any of you able to see anything?
    I haven't been able to watch Ancient Aliens for a long time because I had to get rid of my cable so I don't know if they covered it but the Was Sceptre is something they should have been all over.

20. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

The moon stepped on plans for this morning :(
    The many faces of Mel 111 that I've seen so far revolve around the same basic shape, that of an axe. They do not all involve the same stars. I seen a tomahawk that looked pretty good.
    The Was Sceptre is what sticks in my mind the most. I have been saying "the" Was Sceptre perhaps I should have been saying "a" Was Sceptre. To me the Was Sceptre is obviously an atlatl. I even seen a picture of it with an accompanying spear. What better to embellish an atlatl with then the head of a pterosaur.
    I seen some interesting comparisons made between Mel 111 and the Hyades. I want to do some measuring of them both soon on stellarium.