Costa Rica stargazing.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Jan 28, 2018.

Costa Rica stargazing.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jan 28, 2018 at 7:23 AM

2 Replies 73 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Anyone been to Costa Rica for the stargazing? The dry season, for some reason central Americans call it the summer even though all of central America is north of the equator, is roughly November to April. I'm tempted to go in march.so far my central American stargazing has been limited to Mexico, Guatamala, Belize and el Salvador. El Salvador being the best, Mexico the worst due to a full moon and only being in cities.

2. CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda Member

Yes! I stayed in Jaco for a week or so. There was a narrow jeep trail leading up a small hill on the outskirts of town. I drove up and just laid on the hood to look at the sky. Orion was directly overhead, and I barely recognized it due to its position and how many stars I could see. It was actually the first time I'd been under anything darker than green-yellow skies.

One of the most awesome astronomy experiences I've had.

But that was about a decade ago now. Jaco was just beginning to ratchet up the development in anticipation of an expat and tourism boom. Lots of built but un-filled and un-opened condos/hotels/strip malls. I fear that light pollution will have claimed Jaco by now :/

3. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

El zonte,el Salvador, was similar but the floodlights creeping in with floodlit palm trees. Looking at the stars through trees is amazing but floodlights destroy all this wonder.I had an amazing view of the heavens from the mountains in the middle of Cyprus (Greek side)a few years back.