Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Degrees to minutes

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Pleiades, Oct 5, 2017.

Degrees to minutes

Started by Pleiades on Oct 5, 2017 at 9:37 AM

7 Replies 1563 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

So if a 32mm eyepiece gives me about a 2' AFOV, how many minutes/ seconds of the sky would that equate to be?

2. Pleiades

I ask because according to my warped logic, the moon is about (0.5°). So, by comparison, the heart nebula should be much bigger. Maybe (4°-6°). At a magnitude that should've visible with binoculars. While easily located in a constellation I've spent much time studying. However, I can't find it. The only reasonable possibility is that someone borrowed it and has not returned it yet. Maybe they'll return it when the sky is a bit darker.

3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

One arc degree = sixty arc minutes.

One arc minute = sixty arc seconds

It's the same sexagesimal (base 60) as you'd use with a clock.

If in doubt ask Wolfram lol!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

4. Mak the Night

NGC 896 (Heart & Soul) mainly emits in H alpha I think. There's a lot in Perseus and those nebulae are faint in the visual.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  5. Mak the Night

heart soul.jpg

You'll need a fast scope and UHC or OIII filters, even then they'd be faint.

6. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with the Heart and Soul nebulae, and other objects like this, including galaxies, is that their light emitting is spread out over a large area - huge sometimes.

Take the Triangulum Galaxy - M33. It's about 30 degrees up from the horizon at 8pm nowadays, just on the other side of Andromeda from, well, Andromeda - M31. It's listed at 5.7 magnitude, making it one of the brighter galaxies around. Should be super easy to find, right? But through a telescope, it's barely there. Why? Because it's huge - 70 minutes by 40 minutes. And all of that light, all of that 5.7 magnitude, is spread out over that area. And, unlike Andromeda, it doesn't really have a bright core.

The 5.7 magnitude that it's listed at is what's called "integrated magnitude" - it's the magnitude it would be if you shrank it down to a point source. Exactly like a star.

Next time you're out observing, see if you can find a fifth or sixth magnitude star in an otherwise relatively empty patch of sky. Then defocus the image so that the star fills up the entire field of view of your eyepiece. Then move the telescope a little. You won't notice much difference between when you were looking at the defocused star vs. looking at empty space. That's why M31 is so difficult. And that's why diffuse nebula, spread out over a huge area, are also really difficult to spot.

Plus, objects like these are even more difficult to spot in even modest light pollution, because the background sky itself is brighter, to the point where the dim glow from the diffuse object is overwhelmed. You need really, REALLY dark skies to see objects like these. Or you can get a ginormous telescope to collect more light and distinguish the object from the background better. Or, ideally, both.

Large, diffuse objects like these are best seen with low-powered binoculars, so that the light-emitting area of the object remains concentrated - and therefore, easier to spot.

Pleiades likes this.
  7. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Pleiades likes this.
  8. Pleiades

jgroub likes this.