Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Dust coming down, details showing!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Avani Soares, Aug 25, 2018.

Dust coming down, details showing!

Started by Avani Soares on Aug 25, 2018 at 6:03 PM

2 Replies 837 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Avani Soares

Avani Soares Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Now that our red neighbor is retreating, the storm is dwindling and the details are coming, pity that the apparent diameter is rapidly diminishing as the phase progresses.
    Despite the difficulties, this is the right time to get great photos in the visible and infrared wavelengths (photos below).
    Syrtis Major and Hellas stand out in the foreground in this image, but many formations have become visible.

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Avani? I don't know if you've read my theory on this Dust-Storm, but allow me to explain it briefly -

In 2003 we had the closest Martian-Opposition in about 60,000 years. And with it, Mars had a Dust-Storm even stronger than this one. It, too, covered the entire surface of the planet. Like a very thick floor-rug. You could see anything! And it too started to taper off as we moved further away from Mars. So my theory is that our being that close to Mars is what precipitated these Dust-Storms, perhaps due to the shifting of gravitational-fields on Mars.

So a very close Martian-Opposition is to be expected when such an Opposition is due. So it's not 'Bad Luck.' It's a natural effect.

trans-

Avani? Eu não sei se você leu minha teoria sobre esta tempestade de poeira, mas permita-me explicar brevemente -

Em 2003, tivemos a oposição marciana mais próxima em cerca de 60.000 anos. E com isso, Marte tinha uma tempestade de poeira ainda mais forte que esta. Também cobria toda a superfície do planeta. Como um tapete de chão muito grosso. Você pode ver qualquer coisa! E também começou a diminuir quando nos afastamos de Marte. Portanto, minha teoria é que nosso ser próximo de Marte é o que precipitou essas tempestades de poeira, talvez devido à mudança dos campos gravitacionais em Marte.

Portanto, uma Oposição Marciana muito próxima deve ser esperada quando tal Oposição for devida. Então não é "má sorte". É um efeito natural

Dave

3. Avani Soares

Avani Soares Well-Known Member

Eu vi você com outro colega comentando isso e na verdade acho bem plausível!
    Seria bom entender esse mecanismo pois assim já ficamos de aviso para caprichar na fotos, as melhores serão provavelmente antes e depois da oposição.

Dave In Vermont likes this.