Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

End Caps sucked into black holes.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Pleiades, Jun 7, 2018.

End Caps sucked into black holes.

Started by Pleiades on Jun 7, 2018 at 11:33 AM

5 Replies 268 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

You know the little opaque caps that fit on the bottom of the eyepieces. I swear they are being stolen by raccoons while viewing the heavens. I loose one (At the least) every single trip out. I bought a had case with foam lining for my eyepieces, so I'm not so sure I really need them. How important are they if I keep my eyepieces well protected in a case? Each EP having it's own little foam compartment.

???

2. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

I use a Pelican case and have both top and bottom covers on EPs

3. Don Alvarez

Don Alvarez Member

From my experience the foam can flake when when you take the EP's in and out of the case and so loves to stick to that glass like a magnet. Worse than regular dust, because its dark.

You could just drop it in a little sandwich bag before putting it in the case.

jgroub, Pleiades and Dave In Vermont like this.
  4. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Pleiades - Get a "Rocket-Blower" or equivalent. If you store the eyepiece in a foam-case. Your golden! Just give 'em a blast with the Rocket-Blower to remove any dust.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...MI2fT8s6fC2wIViSaGCh1kvArxEAQYASABEgKNXvD_BwE

The less contact you have with a lens - the better. The cause of most damage to coatings on eyepieces is caused by overzealous owners cleaning them unnecessarily. A blast of air never hurt one.

Oh yes - if you store the eyepiece in a foam-lined case, and you are losing the endcaps? Look/feel in the bottom of the hole in the foam you made for the eyepiece. They seem to like to stay down there when you pull-out the eyepiece. If you find Rod Serling down there? Ask him to phone home.

5. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I take EP's out in bolt cases usually now. Normally with top and bottom caps as well. A lot of Bresser EP's come in bolt cases with no caps (or no eye lens cap) and I've had to improvise by using caps from borked or unused EP's.

IMG_20180608_094057.jpg

I'm not sure where I got the eye lens cap for this Bresser. The BCO had a winged eye guard, so when I removed it the original Baader wouldn't fit. The eye cap above is from a borked 12.5mm Astro Hutech ortho'.

Pleiades likes this.
  6. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I just ordered a few replacements when I placed my order for my new 15mm, BST. Yes, I'm keeping my EP's in a small "Pelican" knock-off. The problem (I suspect) actually lies with a certain small kitten that finds me when I drag the scopes out. My observations typically occur in a small prairie on a hill top, so once something is lost, its gone. The other issue, in full honesty, is the fact that I'm still new enough that I get over excited. :)