Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixGreen">Sale Announcement Enjoy Grab-and-Go Observing with the Vixen Porta II Altazimuth Mount

Discussion in 'Vendor and Sale Announcements' started by Agena AstroProducts, Dec 6, 2016.

Enjoy Grab-and-Go Observing with the Vixen Porta II Altazimuth Mount

Started by Agena AstroProducts on Dec 6, 2016 at 1:53 PM

2 Replies 1525 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Agena AstroProducts

Agena AstroProducts Vendor

vixen-optics-exclusive-agena-sale-mount_620x265.jpg

Add your telescope to the Vixen Porta II altazimuth mount and tripod for the perfect grab-and-go set-up for quick, productive observing sessions. The Porta II is the big brother to the famous Vixen Porta mount. It has a 20lb capacity and two slow-motion controls to help you easily track objects across the sky.

• Holds virtually any refractor, small Newtonian, or compound telescope, along with accessories up to a total of 20lbs
    • Mounting plate fits the world-standard 'Vixen' dovetail bar found on most small telescopes
    • No clutches or locks- simply and smoothly track objects with the slow-motion controls and integrated friction control system
    • Weighs just 15lbs including the rugged, adjustable aluminum tripod
    • Includes tool kit and accessory tray
    • Mount head can be removed and placed on a heavier tripod if needed
    Save $50 instantly on the Vixen Porta II mount. Regularly $299, now on sale for $249. Sale ends on Dec 31.

Click here to shop.

2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I have a Porta II. They're very good and solidly built. Azimuth and altitude controls are smooth and the tension can be adjusted with the supplied Allen keys. The tripod equipped with the mount is about the same as the standard tripod supplied with mounts like the Sky-Watcher AZ3 or EQ2. I bought a heavier Vixen Hal tripod for my Porta II (below).

Vixen Hal Tripod - 2.jpg

I probably wouldn't mount anything heavier than about 6kg with the original tripod. I believe the mount could easily support 9-10kg with a sturdier tripod. All in all it is a very good product. Although it's worth buying the additional longer flexible slo mo control cables. I recommend the Porta II.

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I've been reading reviews on this mount everywhere I can find them - and that's quite a few places. And the weight-issue was my major concern. From what buyers said about this mount - on the supplied aluminum-tripod - leads me to conclude that a LONG refractor (or other long OTA) won't do well if approaching the 15lb. mark. Rather my guess as well. But it seems for a more compact scope - it should handle it alright. I'm thinking of one for my 150mm F/12 Maksutov (@ 11lb. + gear).

It seems these have large clutch-gears, and the older one's had poor slow-motion cables and related issues. And Vixen re-did this awhile ago. No further complaints have surfaced - according to my research (thus far).

One faced with having one of these, and then buying a long-OTA refractor, might have issues due to tensions incurred by the weight-distribution. For this, I'd advise it could be dampened-out by hanging a 10lb. weight around 15" to 20" from the center-bolt, and over/around the accessory-tray/leg-spreader. May seem counter-intuitive, but this trick is remarkably effective.

Back to my prowling/researching.....

Dave