Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Explore Scientific 52 series

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Pleiades, Nov 13, 2018.

Explore Scientific 52 series

Started by Pleiades on Nov 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM

6 Replies 710 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I was just taking a look at the ES 10mm over at the Agena sight, where I noticed the very nice price tag. waterproof and argon-sealed intrigued me. Logic would have it that if water can't get in, and Argon can't get out, then the weird little dust particles that eventually show up in some EP's might not be around for a long time, if ever. This lens would serve as a planetary lens for my 6" Dobs. I'm not sure what EMD coatings are about, but I do like the tapered barrel.

Has anyone had any experience with what appears to be an EP Bargain?

2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Good question, I don't know about the 52 degree series but we should get the information.

52d should be good for planetary observation I suppose? They are not too expensive and if they are has sharp has the 68d and 82d then.. probably a good deal.

Waterproof is a good thing, I am very attracted to that option they are also dust proof has you mentioned.

I was told EMD is the same thing has fully multi coated.

Pleiades likes this.
  3. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a 10mm Ex-Sci Agron filled, waterproof, with Super Delux EMD coatings. Honestly, the big sales factor is 52 degrees. It's in the thirties here, so it should feel warm now, and nice and cool this summer when we go to the beach. My other Plossl EP's advertise 52 degrees, but it must have worn off because now they feel cold to my fingers. ;)

Seriously, It's too early to be silly. At $59, Tax, tag, and title, I couldn't say no. I'll let you know how it works out. As you say, No foreign dust sounds nice to me. Besides, they come with cool looking end caps.

16.6 mm Eyeball relief.
    Tapered barrel
    EMD Coatings (Fully)
    Dynomite with a laser beam, guaranteed to blow your mind. (Queen)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Nebula likes this.
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yes talk to me about the 10mm 52d when you get it. I am curious about them.

I am back from an observation and used only my ES 68d, 34mm and 24mm they are lovely eyepieces well corrected too, comfortable... if the 52d series is like that, it's going to be a hit.

It would be nice to test the 52d against Orthoscopics.

Pleiades likes this.
  5. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

Are these plossls with longer eye relief ?

6. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

No most likely a modified Erfle or Konig design.
    All are 5+ elements in 3 groups so definitely not a Plossl.

7. Don Pensack

Don Pensack Vendor

My short field experience with the 10mm (and even briefer with the 4.5mm) in my apo convinced me that these perform a lot like Plössls with a longer eye relief. That's definitely not a bad thing. Plössl price, better eye relief, and sealed.
    All focal lengths are available except 15mm and 25mm so far.