Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixGreen">Sale Announcement Explore Scientific 62-Degree Series Eyepieces Now 20% Off

Discussion in 'Vendor and Sale Announcements' started by Agena AstroProducts, Nov 29, 2017.

Explore Scientific 62-Degree Series Eyepieces Now 20% Off

Started by Agena AstroProducts on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:01 AM

47 Replies 7208 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Agena AstroProducts

Agena AstroProducts Vendor

Starting today, Explore Scientific is also offering 20% off select 68-Degree, 82-Degree, and 100-Degree waterproof eyepieces, as well as 1.25" 2x, 3x, and 5x tele-extenders. Quantities are limited at these prices, so get your order in while we still have stock. When the clock strikes midnight on New Year's Eve, this sale is done.

Explore Scientific is also extending their sale of their affordable 62-Degree eyepieces. These waterproof oculars offer an excellent flat-field and long eye relief to make for comfortable and enjoyable observing sessions. They're always an excellent value, and they're even more compelling when they're 20% off the regular price. Choose from focal lengths of 5.5mm to 40mm. This sale is extended until December 31, 2017 (or until we sell out).

[​IMG]

2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Great! --> I have a question.

Where I live in Canada it's not impossible for me to use these in temperatures from -10 to -20 Celcius during winter. I would be glad to know if they can tolerate these cold temperature without causing any damages to them.

My primary concern is the integrity of the seals retaining the gas inside the EP, against thermal expansion. Normally I would read the tolerances inside the spec sheet and follow them, but there is nothing in the the spec sheets about extreme cold.

I have the 34mm 68d and the 4.7mm 82d

Thanks.

3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I hear they explode in Canada lol.

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

hehehehe Beboom! Like a hand grenade the 34mm.

--> But it's not funny Mak, it's like buying a car without a temperature gauge and guessing the motor heat based on absolutely nothing. It's unfair for the customer.

5. Mak the Night

What I dislike about a lot of ES eyepieces is the exaggerated drawtube taper, as it can deform compression rings. They do look like nice EP's though.

According to their site, they invite emailing them.

Email: service@explorescientific.com

6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night, I think that's a great feedback, the drawtube exaggerated taper situation, if it can deform the compression rings ES should consider it...

I already tried Service@explorescientific.com but there was nobody at the end of the line. I tried to write to Jeff@explorescientific.com, but, he will not reply either.. Perhaps I should try the good old telephone...

Either way I would be nice to know the technical specifications required for my cold weather in Canada. I paid close to 6 bills for the 34mm and the 4.7mm... I want to feel like a proud owner but instead I feel unconsidered...

[​IMG]

7. Mak the Night

I've heard that the 2" drawtubes are more likely to deform compression rings than the 1.25". I believe ES compression rings are steel and deliberately made with this in mind. You can get away with a slight taper with 1.25" EP's but 2" needs more pressure to secure them.

8. Agena AstroProducts

Agena AstroProducts Vendor

That’s a very good question that no one had brought up before to us or even to Explore Scientific. ES checked with their factory in China, and were informed that the O-rings were good down to -300 deg. F!

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Hello Agena, I thank you for your attention, that's very nice of you. I already feel better honestly. -300f is quite cold, that's -184.4 Celcius.

So I can assume they can withstand -20 celcius for many hours without problems or any gas loss?

Thanks

10. Mak the Night

I went a bit Barnsley Hall and ordered a 14mm ES.

11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yes? your first ES, great Mak!! I think they are beautiful eyepieces. Which 14mm did you bought ? 62d, 82d or 100d ?

12. Mak the Night

This one:

246c185d-1d70-4f6a-8fae-ca0a40e96c3b.png

It's for the ST80 in 1.25" mode. At about 250 grammes it is 100 grammes lighter than the 15mm Luminos and isn't far off the weight of the 24mm Panoptic, which I can easily handle on the AZ5. It will give 28.5x for 2°, 52‘, 12“ TFOV with a 2.8mm exit pupil.

Nebula likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Wow that's a beautiful eyepiece congratulations. 28.5x degrees is a really nice power for star fields with 2 degrees TFOV. Another nice piece to your collection along the beautiful 24mm and 19mm Panoptic (and others)

82 degrees, this is a serious eyepiece, very good looking too. I just used mine, my 4.7mm 82d about 1 hours ago to look at the moon, I am impressed every time I use it. If the 14mm is has good has the 4.7mm it's going to be awesome.

14. Mak the Night

I'll see when it arrives. It certainly looks good. Decent price as well. The TFOV is nearer to 3°; nearly 6 Full Moons.

14mm.png

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  15. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I think you will like it has much has I like my 2 explore scientific eyepieces. It's going to be incredible with 82 degrees.

16. Mak the Night

It should be delivered tomorrow. I'm quite excited in a way lol.

17. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yep it's not like receiving a trio of plastic Svbony. The 14mm will be more like a piece of jewelry in a very nice box. Then you take it, it's heavy and well finished like the Televues. Each time I look at them it makes me happy... nonetheless.

18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Oh My, I might receive a gift too from Agena, My 8 GSO color filters for planetary usage has we discussed previously. I need to prepare my new little flat box to fit them all inside.

December 27, 2017, 9:02 am
    Departed
    MONTREAL, CANADA
    Your item departed a transfer airport in DORVAL, MONTREAL, CANADA on December 27, 2017 at 9:02 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

I still hope this was not a total waste of money..

19. Mak the Night

Hopefully it won't be much heavier than my 24mm Panoptic.

20. Mak the Night

Coloured filters rock!