Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

First Light?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Zigarro, Feb 3, 2017.

First Light?

Started by Zigarro on Feb 3, 2017 at 8:24 PM

10 Replies 2485 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

Finally got my little 90mm EQ set up and began learning the intricacies of moving an equatorial mount, and getting the finder scope aligned with the refractor, etc, until I figured I was well prepared for my “first light” which I hoped would be the Pleiades, since I've loved them after my daughter told me they were her favorite object in the night sky.

Around 6pm, I was in place in my large back yard, in the precise spot I knew Polaris would eventually appear over my roof, allowing me to (sorta) polar align. I surely wanted to be prepared for this first “night of nights” so there I sat with a little table holding my fancy polished pewter ashtray, a fine hand-rolled La Aurora Preferidos Cameroon cigar burning therein, and a glass of brandy. Naturally, I had thought to be well “dark-adapted” so I was wearing my newly purchased red goggles and I figgered I was ready for nightfall.

So's y'all get the full picture- lest it has escaped you thus far; here I am in far north Texas (serious bo-hunksville) wearing a yarn Navy cap and a hoodie, against a recently arrived cold front, (and big red goggles) before dusk, with assorted cowboys and oil-field hands passing on the highway out front, wondering just what new kinda freak had moved into their neighborhood! (I was unperturbed!)

Even before sunset, it became apparent that my evening was about to be somewhat less than magical as misty clouds began filling in from the north, eliminating any hope of seeing Polaris and postponing my effort at Polar aligning on my “night of nights”! 'Ok', I thought, 'I'll still wait it out with my cigar and brandy until after sunset, when I can shuck these stupid goggles and gain valuable experience taking down this complicated apparatus after dark of night. (Sunset in red goggles is nearly worth this painful disappointment!)

I snuffed the stogie and rose to begin the take-down when I spotted the waxing Gibbous “half-moon” (yeah, I know– there is no half moon, but I'm at a loss to describe it otherwise). I also spotted Venus shining brightly in the S/W, and though I'd hoped for the Pleiades, I wrestled my scope about to begin the struggle to capture Luna. Once I finally forced that bloody EQ to bend to my will, I focused in on the Moon with a 25mm EP- and wow– just WOW! I was seeing in real time, craters and Mares and as I became more familiar with the R.A. and Dec. controls, I decided to swap the 25 for the 10mm. As you more experienced hands know, one's first sight of a heavenly body– up close & personal, is indelible!

I switched to my 10mm EP and though I had to work harder to keep the moon in my field of view, I was speechless at the detail! I spent about 20 minutes with Luna before aiming at Venus. It was just a bright star with my 25, but with the 10mm, I saw it as a “half-disc” like a small (haha) “halfmoon”, and I marveled!

There are many other targets at which I hope to gape in wonder, but as you old hands already know– you never forget your “first light”!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Gabby76 and Mak the Night like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Moon does it every time. I think the first time I viewed the Moon at any decent power was at about 90x as well. I think it was with a decent Kellner. It led to me spending stupid money on eyepieces later lol. Using the 10mm Sirius would have given you a virtual 1mm exit pupil as well. Many consider that the best exit pupil size for lunar observations.

Sirius10 25.jpg

I have the same EP's as they were supplied with my 90mm StarMax. I'm pretty sure they're Synta made like Sky-Watcher and Celestron.

element1.jpg

Here's a trick; if you acquire a decent inexpensive Barlow, you should be able to unthread the Barlow element itself. When you thread it directly into the eyepiece drawtube it increases the magnification by around 1.6x. This way you can get slightly higher magnifications rather than just doubling it. I believe this would have given you 146x on your 90mm refractor. I'm guessing you saw something like this below. I had to guess north Texas so I plumped for Dallas lol. You can just make out Mars to the left of Venus.

dallas1.jpg

I've been viewing Venus recently with my 90mm Mak at around 50x and I can basically just see the phase. Mars is near Venus at the moment, although it's not always easy to see in twilight. Anyway, I'm glad you had a great first light.

This site sometimes works: http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/

It's an online lunar map.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  3. Zigarro

I'll remember to try that barlow trick when I get one, thanks. Yep, Saturn's phase was all I saw too but you know... it was my first time. This little refractor is nice but get onto anything near the zenith and it's tough on my joints! Sure looking forward to that Sky View Pro 8!

4. Mak the Night

It gives you a lot more flexibility with one 2x Barlow, basically quadrupling your eyepiece magnifications. I know what you mean about the zenith. I use an alt-az for anything above the plane of the ecliptic. The great advantage with manual EQ mounts is you only have to really operate the RA slo-mo as it should track if polar aligned. You'll need more aperture to see any cloud detail on Venus. I can often see subtle cloud detail on a twilight Venus with my 130mm Newtonian. You shouldn't need more than 150x to view it.

5. Zigarro

6. Mak the Night

It looks a lot like some Bresser Barlows, you may be able to get the same thing with a different brand name for a cheaper price. I once paid 80 quid for an Omegon Barlow to discover it was Barsta made and TS Optics sold it for 60! Either way, the Orion looks very good. It's almost certainly an apochromatic.

7. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

A quick set up tip for an eq mount is when you get it polar aligned mark where the tripod sits so next time you can just set up on that spot and know your aligned well enough for visual.
    You can be viewing the planets well before it is dark enough for Polaris to appear.

Zigarro and Dave In Vermont like this.
  8. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Mak here is our in-house "Barlow-Nut." So if you have any questions about these often-times maligned pieces-o-glass, he's my first-choice for the 'go-to' member.

I am the in-house "Filter-Nut," having stopped counting after getting 40 of these - in different flavors and colors (at least).

That Orion strikes me as possibly being based on the design of a TeleVue® PowerMate. Is this possible, Mak?

Have fun all -

Dave

9. Mak the Night

Well, I'm not an expert, but the fact that it claims to have four elements is interesting as it does seem similar to the Powermate in that respect. There again, not all three element Barlows are necessarily true apochromats, so how similar it is to the Powermate is difficult to determine.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  10. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

The powermate does not extend the eye relief like a typical barlow can and in Orions advertising it states it will extend the eye relief of a eyepiece.
    Possibly using 4 elements to help correct aberations from it being a short version?

11. Mak the Night

Yes, you're right about the eye relief on Powermates. It's a good bet you're right about why the Orion (whoever the OEM actually is) has four elements as well. I have a TS Optics (GSO) 2.5x Barlow which I believe has three elements, yet it is supposedly not a true apochromatic. It is a short Barlow however with apochromatic quality. Perhaps with a diminished light path on a short Barlow a true apochromatic needs four elements. Whereas, the Powermate acts like an apochromatic Barlow but technically is something different.

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=53&Tab=_back