Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Galileo DB135 1100X 135mm Dobsonian / Towa 339

Discussion in 'Vintage Telescopes & Equipment' started by Chicken_Grylls, Mar 8, 2016.

Galileo DB135 1100X 135mm Dobsonian / Towa 339

Started by Chicken_Grylls on Mar 8, 2016 at 2:50 PM

6 Replies 2792 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Chicken_Grylls

Chicken_Grylls New Member

Hi all,

I hope it is ok to post here, I threw an enquiry out on Instagram and was lead here so hopefully in this community of experts :) i'm hoping someone can shed some light on a new scope I picked up today adding to my small collection of vintage scopes.

i) Towa 339 - 80mm x 1100mm
    ii) Astral 500 - 60mm x 910mm
    iii) Galileo DB135 135mm x 1100mm

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_20160308_201201.jpg

IMG_0017.JPG

It is the Galileo that has me puzzled. There is very little mention of it through Internet searches and an odd characteristic is that it has a metal Warner Bros shield plaque on the front.

As per the telescope buying law, it will be cloudy now for the next week but I can't wait to get it out for Jupiter viewing.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    george likes this.
  2. george

george Developer

Hey @Chicken_Grylls seems like the photos were not posted correctly. I tried to take a look at it myself to fix it but wasn't sure if there was suppose to be more than 1 image posted.

You can also upload images to the thread post with the "Upload a File" button below instead of hosting them off site.

3. Chicken_Grylls

Chicken_Grylls New Member

Thanks George, I'm easily confused these days and with forum links/images it's no exception. I only added the 1 picture but your reply prompted me to add the others.

4. george

george Developer

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  5. AstroLife

AstroLife Active Member

Welcome to AstronomyConnect Chicken_Grylis.

I know virtually nothing about vintage scopes. However, I'd venture to guess the Galileo as being one sold by Apogee, Inc. a few years ago. Apogee, Inc (not to be confused with today's Apogee Imaging Systems) sold a range of low-mid end astronomy products for a few years, but folded perhaps 6-8 years ago. They branded several of their products as "Galileo" and the logo/font on your scope is exactly like what they had. If I am correct, I'm afraid this scope may not be worth much (optically and $-wise).

I'm sure the other vintage experts here can corroborate or deny this.

Harry D.

6. AstroLife

AstroLife Active Member

Right after posting above, I Googled a different combination of keywords and chanced upon this link:

http://www.qvc.com/Galileo-DB135-1100X-135mm-Dobsonian-Reflector-Telescope.product.E214371.html

This certainly looks like the one you have, and now that I see the logo on the base clearly in the QVC photo, I'm certain that this is an Apogee telescope from the late 1990s or early-mid 2000s. The QVC bundle above includes a "Mars Eye CIR electronic finderscope" which was actually a very good and well known Apogee product.

Harry D.

7. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I rather like the wooden-tripods and mounts under the two refractors. They look like fun for someone back-in-the-day!

Nice finds. Thanks for posting these.

Dave