Hello from cloudy NH!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduce Yourself' started by CrazyPanda, Apr 12, 2018.

Hello from cloudy NH!

Started by CrazyPanda on Apr 12, 2018 at 11:06 PM

4 Replies 146 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda Member

I love astronomy. Started when I was 11 thanks to a cheap 60mm yard sale birthday gift, and have been looking up for just over 20 years now.

I'm mainly a visual astronomer, but dabble in planetary AP now and again (when the atmosphere cooperates anyway!).

I have aperture and eyepiece fever something fierce, but I enjoy the gear as much as the sky. Still on the hunt for that final eyepiece lineup.

I'm a web developer by trade, and built https://eyepieceplanner.com as a tool to help me quickly calculate an eyepiece's characteristics in a given telescope. But rather than aiding in the decision-making process, it made it worse o_O

Currently operating a 4.5" Newt, 8" LX90, and 12" Lightbridge. Also in the process of building a 15" F/4.5 truss dob with Nova Optics primary and Ostahowski secondary. This will be my first ever scope build, so taking my time with it to do it right.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself :cool:

Clear Skies!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Well hello again, CP (if I may) - we too all love our equipment here. It's a famous condition, which we understand all too well! :eek: :p

For eyepieces, you may do well in approaching Mak The Night in these forums. He's got an Elephant's memory for these, and a collection to match. Barlow's too. And I am a certifiable 'Filter-Nut.' But Mak & Nebula are well on their way.

So always feel free here to ask any questions you may find. And welcome aboard!

Dave In Vermont

Filter Collection b.JPG

Most of my collection of filters.....

3. george

george Developer

4. CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda Member

Thanks Dave and George. I took a spin through the various databases. Very, very useful to have all that information consolidated in one place.

I'm actually looking forward the the replacement endcaps database because the stock TeleVue endcaps are way too tight, and I've been trying out different styles to make getting them on and off easier.

I bought a few short 1.25" caps from Agena to replace the ones on my TV Plossls, and they worked great.

The other database that I think is going to be incredibly useful is the usable eye relief measurements database. There is always such a huge discrepancy between the stated / designed eye relief, and the effective eye relief after you account for lens recess and eye guard.

5. Ruud

Ruud Active Member

Welcome Mr. Panda!
    hello-643.gif