Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Hello from Ma.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduce Yourself' started by sickfish, Mar 24, 2018.

Hello from Ma.

Started by sickfish on Mar 24, 2018 at 7:29 AM

27 Replies 2642 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

Glad to be here.
    Watertown Ma. is my home town
    Bunch of scopes XT8, SC8, AR102, ST80, 4.5 Starblast, 70mm Celestron
    20x80 Binos
    Anyhow, Hello Everyone

2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Welcome to AC! We have a great community here, full of knowledge and fun. Don't be afraid to ask questions or share your experiences. Nice set of scopes and binos! I can't wait to hear some of your astronomical adventures.

Reggie

3. sickfish

Thanks Reggie

4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Hello Tony. I hope you're getting better weather than I am. I'm still waiting for spring lol.

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Hello Hello welcome to AC. Enjoy your stay!

6. PXR-5

PXR-5 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Sickfish :)

7. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Hey there Tony! It's great to have you aboard!

You're out of Watertown, eh? Cool. I went to school in Watertown, taught high-school chemistry in a private high there, and lived there for a few years. I know you're territory well. Though I was born in Cambridge just up Mt. Auburn street.

So welcome to A-C, an eclectic community which you're most welcome to add your voice and ideas to.

Enjoy!

Dave

Nebula likes this.
  8. sickfish

Thanks guys.
    Dave,Mt Auburn great Armenian food and one of the most beautiful cemeteries around.:)

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  9. Dave In Vermont

Oh yes! Mount Auburn Cemetary - from the tower in it were launched many all-night parties & acid-trips! And a huge Halloween Party! The night-watchmen didn't want to see anyone moving around in the dark - so they just took off and left us all alone! :D

There was a cool Greek eatery in Watertown Square - Demo's - where I'd have their Greek Salad and Pita and a few shots of Ouzo for lunch most days. And maybe a wedge of their excellent Baclava for dessert.

10. sickfish

I have been observing for around 10 to 12 years.
    Got a good knowledge of scopes, designs and other stuff, kinda stay quite when it comes to expert advice. There is a lot of people who know a lot more than me. Like to build stuff and know how, woodworking, welding and so on. If I can help I will try.

11. sickfish

Demo's know this place well, New York Diner, W house of pizza, fine dining all close to each other.
    Do you remember Star Market with the conveyor belt that brought you bags out to that drive up area?;). And yes have been to the tower to chill more than a few times

12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Dave In Vermont
    Oh yes! Mount Auburn Cemetary - from the tower in it were launched many all-night parties & acid-trips!

Lol :p :D

@sickfish
    Ill be there to look at your DIY.

13. Dave In Vermont

That's all we can do is try!

Well I was made a science/chemistry teacher at the age of 15, as I was doing grad-school-level organic chemistry and basically living out of MIT & Harvard at the time, and the regular chem. teacher kept lighting himself and the lab on fire. It was of general conclusion that I'd better take over. Before he managed to light one of the students on fire! :eek: :p

So I have a long history of 'trying' to help people understand things they can't actually see with their own eyes - in many situations. Such be the nature of 'trying' to teach in the sciences. 'Try' being the operative word here.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    sickfish likes this.
  14. sickfish

How far up in VT., are you Dave?

15. Dave In Vermont

Lat. & Long:

Latitude: 44° 29' 3"

Longitude: 73° 13' 17"

Or, in English, Burlington, VT. Within a long-walking distance of the Canadian border - in case Trump decides to launch a nuclear-war against the United States...

Oh yeah - the Star Market in the Square. Never needed to play with their conveyor-contraption. I was strictly cash & carry - being within an easy walking-distance to my nest on Palfrey Street, where I lived with my girlfriend and her utterly wild Mother - who was best-friend's with Mountain Girl - one of the original Merry Pranksters. And she was married to Jerry Garcia - one of the Grateful Dead - which I was sworn to secrecy as they'd all pile into the house when playing the East Coast, and we didn't need 10,000 screaming 'dead-heads' camped out on our lawn and pulling bricks out of the house as sovenirs!

Besides - I wasn't very fond of their music (that came later) - being more of a 'Jefferson Airplane' man myself at the time.

I'm amazed to hear Demo's is still alive & kicking! Who'd a thunk it?!

16. sickfish

Palfrey Street school?

17. sickfish

Was up in Burlington last fall when my daughter was looking at colleges. Great town loved church street. Saw university of vermont, nice school but WPI said yes so it's Worcester

18. Dave In Vermont

WPI = Worcester Polytechnique Institute, yes? Or, as some of the locals' would put it - "Wormtown." Worcester is an odd amalgam of part-city, part-rural-ish, and part-college town. I had relatives there, but they bailed-out as the police went after them for being 'Dutch.' As in from the Netherlands. The cops in Worcester are quite bigoted. As well as a case of "Towns vs. Gowns" - local near-do-wells and the what's viewed as 'Richy-Rich' sons & daughters of affluent and wealthy parents, who get everything handed to 'em.

This sociological-phenomena is actually quite common in 'college-towns.' But your daughter should be just fine. 'Towns v. Gowns' usually remains below the surface and rarely escalates to anything beyond a few dirty-looks. I had occasion to study this from my perch running a 'community-radio-station' in Waltham that was bankrolled by Brandeis University. We dealt with it by offering free lessons to any local who wanted such in a variety of topics. The locals became very much friendly to us from this effort.

19. sickfish

Brandeis, drive by it every day
    Worcester has changed a bit don't think that town, gowns thing is going on.
    I am a dispacther, driver and see all these towns and trust me all the colleges.

20. Dave In Vermont

That's great news! I hope so, at least. True - I haven't had cause to be in Wormtown in well over 10 years - when my family vacated, one to Florida, the other back home to Holland.

I'm glad you're 'taking the pulse' around Eastern Massachusetts. I may be asking you some questions from time-to-time!

Good stuff.

Enjoy our skies!

Dave