Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Hello from the windy city

Discussion in 'New Members Introduce Yourself' started by Synchrome, Oct 11, 2018.

Hello from the windy city

Started by Synchrome on Oct 11, 2018 at 10:49 AM

25 Replies 1698 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to reading and participating in forums, and learning a thing or two! I might start getting more into astrophotography in the future, IF time allows...
    My main interest is classic SCTs, especially ones from the company with the first commercial success in mass producing the SCT: the late Thomas Johnson's Celestron company.
    One night in Utrecht (Netherlands) back in '78, the first look through an orange tube C8 is what got me hooked!

Orion25 and Dave In Vermont like this.
  2. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Synchrome likes this.
  3. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I know little about astrophotography, I do strictly visual observations. But there are some folks here who have shown themselves to be talented there. I myself have only been doing this a tad over a year. My youngest (20) and I take to a field and fight off skeeters to see what we can find. Good folks here and good information. Glad you joined in the fun.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  4. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

Much appreciated, thanks!

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Greetings, Synchrome - it's very nice to welcome you to A-C from my perch up here in Vermont! I am Dave and am a long time amateur(?)-astronomer, and fellow enjoyer of the Cassegrain. Both Schmidt & Maksutov varieties. But not limited to these. My signature below my body of this message contains a more full description of my arsenal with which I explore the cosmcos, as do other members' here.

We're a very easy-going, laid back bunch here, and I encourage you to jump right into these forums and please to get used to our free-wheeling, anything goes style here! So throw your feet up and relax! You're among friends here! Above all else -

Have Fun!

Dave

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Synchrome likes this.
  6. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

Thank you Dave!! And again Pleiades as well!
    Sounds like my kind of place!
    A few years back I moved from a decent dark sky area (Oklahoma) to Chicago. Yeah...
    Needless to say, my first point on the agenda was "LPF"!
    I mean, Adler Planetarium is nearby on Lake Shore Drive, and Yerkes Observatory isn't too far away. So there is some good astro-history here. I really do love all aspects of living near Chicago EXCEPT for the lights!!!
    Maybe someone will chime in that knows of a good location for stargazing... I haven't joined a local club yet, because I've been lazy. Not really, I have school-aged kids....
    In the meantime I was lucky enough to be able to buy a couple of nice Lumicon filters as well.
    Looks like you have an awesome collection of gear!! Wow. I bet you get some really nice views with your 12" LX90!!
    I've been thinking about shimming my Ultima fork assembly (making it wider) and buying/mounting an 11" Ultima OTA. But I'm afraid it will just turn into a package that's too heavy to lug around... But aperture fever might prevail one day...

7. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Hello Synchrome and welcome to the forums. I always wanted an orange tube classic Celestron SCT, maybe one day lol. I've also always wanted to see Lake Michigan. Unfortunately it's too far away from where I live and would probably take months on the No.9 bus.

Anyway, I thought Glasgow was the windy city ...

Synchrome likes this.
  8. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Welcome, Synchrome, to AC! I'm down south here in Jawjah, just survived Hurricane Michael and finally experiencing fall weather, lol. I'm a big fan of Mak-Casses but I love all scopes. I'm a decent astrophotographer, but not a pro by any means. I have fun, though, and may be able to share some information about it (a cool guy named Avani is one of our resident experts on the subject). Have a blast here! We're an eclectic bunch (I'm a musician, composer, videographer, audiobook producer, etc). And don't be afraid to ask questions!

Reggie

Synchrome likes this.
  9. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

Thanks gents!!
    Great to know there are a bunch of knowledgeable people here, because I'm sure I'll eventually have some questions!

10. Mak the Night

I know nothing ...

11. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

Hahahaha classic "Farty Towels" episode!!!
    You might know nothing, but I bet you know quite a bit about astrphotography!!!

12. Mak the Night

The only thing I know about AP is that it is expensive.

13. Dave In Vermont

I'm aiming for video astro-photograohy myself. No rules. Anything goes. You can use a $20 webcam. Or a $3000 MallinCam (I have a $600 MallinCam Jr. Pro). And all points between.

Yes - regards 'luggability' of the 'Monster-Scopes' like a 12" Meade LX90 or Celestron C11 or C14: Better have a dedicated viewing-perch. Or Russians' to prescribe you banned steroids and good lawyers to defend you after you strangle a passing Mack-Truck for vibrating the area as it was passing! This is why you see many of us going toward smaller and smaller aperture scopes lately. For instance - we're members of the ST80 Club! :eek: :D

ST80 Club T-Shirt a (PNG).png

ST80 Outfitted For Use As SolarTelescope80 a.JPG

GSO 8 - 50MM RACI FINDER-SCOPE b R.JPG
    Oh the crazy things we do for the stars!

Enjoy!

Dave

Synchrome likes this.
  14. Synchrome

Synchrome Member

Great stuff!!!
    I like the ST80 club!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  15. Dave In Vermont

Thanks! But credit must be foisted-off on Mak. He cooked that idea up and did the graphics for the t-shirt!

Unfortunately they don't actually exist (yet). So put your wallet back in your pants....:p

D.

Synchrome likes this.
  16. Mak the Night

IMG_20180512_103328.jpg

Synchrome likes this.
  17. Dave In Vermont

The ST80 (short-tube 80mm achromat), shown above by Mak, has been tricked-out by removing the stock focuser and dropping a Crayford 10:1 Dual-Focuser in it's place. The come-with on works alright - after cleaning and re-packing it with fresh lubricant.

The GSO Crayfords' run around $130 - $160 a shot. And in terms of the scalpel-sharp views this modification allows - is well worth it IMHO!

18. Mak the Night

My Crayford says TS (TS Optics) on it but it's a GSO. There are slightly different models of these.

st80crayfordrail.jpg

I have two ST80's. The first was a Sky-Watcher, but it had some technical difficulties. As I had bought a mount and tripod for it, plus a shed load of accessories I simply replaced it with the Orion equivalent (they're both Synta made).

dewgear.jpg

Eventually I fixed the stuck dew shield on the SW version and added a new GSO focuser to that.

twinf.jpg

The GSO focusers have provision to put two finder shoes on them.

swst80twin.jpg

This enables me to have an RACI and a reflex sight on the same scope.

Synchrome likes this.
  19. Dave In Vermont

Agena carries them. Another good shop to know of does as well:

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_frc2.htm

ScopeStuff, out of Texas, is a great source for the hard-to-find & esoteric astro-goods available. Jim Henson - owner & proprietor - must scour the Earth for some of the goods he carries. A tour of the inventory there could take a week! Best pack a tent, sleeping-bag, and food. If you find a lost British Expedition Force in there - ask them to call home!

Enjoy!

Dave

Synchrome likes this.
  20. Mak the Night

If you modify Synta short tube achromats with a Crayford focuser there may be back focus issues.

pre.png

The Crayford is shorter than the original rack & pinion focuser.

aft.jpg

So an extension tube needs to be used, although this is quite usual with Crayford focusers.

IMG_20180202_112333.jpg