Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Here's what I collected so far on the whirpool galaxy

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by stepping beyond, Jul 5, 2019.

Here's what I collected so far on the whirpool galaxy

Started by stepping beyond on Jul 5, 2019 at 12:04 PM

7 Replies 845 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

This is my 1st attempt at the Whirlpool galaxy m51 and all is a work in progress . This color brought out the spiral arms better. colorwhirlpool galaxy 6-01-19.jpg

Scopejunkie and Ed D like this.
  2. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Very Good.. and considering NC weather hasn't been very well suited for astrophotography. Colors of Galaxy look good, although there's blue dominant in background? Or is that my monitor?

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I see the blue in my monitor as well. The colors can be corrected. The main thing is that you got a sharp and well detailed image of the Whirlpool. Good image!

Ed D

4. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Nice shot! Love the galaxy structure.

5. stepping beyond

Thank yall , Now how to fix the background that's {heavily saturated} with B without messing up the galaxy, it's been a problem for me . All the lrgb stacked and in files I create and adjust my rgb in AIP4win . I then add Lum and tweak in Ps and astronomy tools. I been working on this and the Pinwheel for almost 2 weeks . The galaxy comes out too much color each time. URRRRGH! help ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  6. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I live in extreme light pollution (Bortle 9) and my images are often messed up by the LP. A quick and dirty fix that I do is to convert to B&W:

grayscalewhirlpool galaxy 6-01-19.jpg

Have you tried taking flat frames, darks and bias, and using them in your processing? Flat frames may help take out the background gradient.

Ed

Scopejunkie likes this.
  7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I don't use the programs you use. What I use are SharpCap for captures, Deep Sky Stacker for DSO or Auto Stakkert for planets, and GIMP for tweaking colors, levels, etc. Wish I could be more help.

Ed

8. stepping beyond

I need to take my flats over again , I've not ran any since getting the moonlite AF . I use them but, the focus must be off . I take my flats now with a light panel instead of diverted light. I've got time now to get them taken thanks for the heads up buddy. I do need to get some newer ones and I started out using them and still do except for Gimp, I found a free download of Photoshop cs2 and added Carboni's astronomy tool plug in . Dso's is a whole new world in processing from planets with a steep learning curve. I keep at it and I'll eventually get better and better results.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019