Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Hind's Crimson Star

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Feb 1, 2019.

Hind's Crimson Star

Started by Orion25 on Feb 1, 2019 at 5:14 AM

4 Replies 1040 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Hind's Crimson Star (R Leporis) is an old red giant carbon star in the constellation of Lepus, the Hare, just south of Orion. It's named after British astronomer J.R. Hind who observed it in 1845. It glows a dim blood red because of excessive carbon in its atmosphere. You'll need a telescope to see it; it's too dim to see with the naked eye and is challenging in binoculars. It's also a variable star that ranges in magnitude from about 5.5 to 11.7 with a period of about 427 days. I took this shot through my 5" Maksutov at prime focus with my Nikon D3200.

ASTRONOMY - HIND'S CRIMSON STAR 1-31-19 SM.jpg

It's prime-time viewing for the "Vampire Star" just south of Orion!

Reggie

Seer likes this.
  2. Avani Soares

Avani Soares Well-Known Member

That is one of the few things I like to observe visually, LOL, I am exclusively a lunar and planetarium photographer.
    Here in the southern hemisphere we have some beautiful stars of carbon, among which I think is very beautiful is one that is next to Mimosa (beta crux) the contrast between white and blue Mimosa red star is an exceptional sight. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lrargerich/8465766540/
    Here is a quick description: Beta Cru (b), Mimosa mag 1.2 is a brilliant blue white giant marking the end of the eastern limb of Crux. A crimson-red carbon star, EsB 365 mag 8.6 lies 2'.4 in pa 260 ° in the same field. Center beta in your field of view and the carbon star is easily located at approximately 9 0'clock as a bright red pinpoint star. If you have difficulty seeing this, look slightly away so your vision is averted as your peripheral vision is more sensitive to faint objects. In your telescope, 86 x magnification should distinguish it clearly.
    Nice photo, Reggie, I'll try to look at it at the first opportunity.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Obrigado Avani. Vi pela primeira vez essa estrela no Observatório Fernbank, em Atlanta, através de seu grande Refletor Cassegrain de 36 polegadas e fiquei impressionado com o quão vermelho apareceu! Porque estava escuro, a cor era profunda. Então, eu pude ver através do meu Mak de 5 polegadas, um ponto vermelho em um fundo preto! Uau! Eu imaginei que se eu pudesse imaginar Urano e Netuno eu poderia imaginar isso, e eu fiz! :) Essa imagem da Mimosa é requintada! Obrigado por compartilhar o link!

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice image of this red beauty. Years ago I observed it in a 6" f/8 and it looked like a bright red LED. Thanks for posting, Reggie.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Thanks, Ed. I first saw it at the local observatory (Fernbank in Atlanta) last week and I was amazed. I found it relatively easily with my own scope and couldn't resist trying for a picture. I figured if I could image Neptune I could tag this one. The picture makes it look a bit orange and a little brighter than it actually appeared in the eyepiece. I may do a little color correction, or I may just leave it alone :)