Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Hints of Wispy Nebulae

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Jul 18, 2022.

Hints of Wispy Nebulae

Started by Orion25 on Jul 18, 2022 at 5:01 PM

14 Replies 838 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

The usual suspects were used to attempt to image these nebulae (Nikon D3200, 127mm Mak). The first image is of the Lagoon Nebula region in which you can see hints of the nebula. I had the camera set at 10s/ ISO6400, one-off (no stacking):

ASTRONOMY - LAGOON NEBULA 6-26-22 SM.jpg

Next is my attempt at the Omega Nebula, same camera settings:

ASTRONOMY - OMEGA NEBULA 6-26- SM.jpg

I tried for the Eagle Nebula but didn't have much luck, but I did have fun chasing these popular stellar factories!

Clear skies!
    Reggie

Ed D, Nebula and Mak the Night like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Nice pictures Reggie. It's been really hot here (40 Celsius) and I thought I might be able to see the Pipe Nebula last night with the 80ED DS Pro. Unfortunately the transparency didn't allow it. I did get to see Jupiter, Saturn and Mars though.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Thanks, Dave. I've been hearing about the heatwave in Europe. Is it true that less than 20% of Europeans have air conditioning? Where I live in the southeastern U.S. air conditioning is a MUST during the summers.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Mak the Night likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

I think AC is pretty standard in some of the hotter southern European countries. You're subtropical though. A lot of Europe has a fairly temperate climate. Nordic regions or countries like northern Britain, northern Germany, Scandinavia and the Baltic are fairly temperate (aka cold lol). The winter in Finland can be so severe hot coffee thrown out of a cup outdoors can purportedly instantly freeze before it hits the ground. My brother worked there for a bit and he was advised not to urinate outside as it would freeze as it came out lol. Also, there are no cicadas in northern Europe. So the next time you watch a US TV show set in England and there is a night time scene with chirping cicadas you'll know it's actually a foley sound effect. Mind you, as it gets warmer, we may get cicadas yet. I've just come back from an early morning session. At 04:00 (BST) I was still wearing just a T-shirt (and trousers of course lol). This is unprecedented in the UK in my experience (the heat, not wearing trousers). Apparently Tuesday broke heat records here. I got another planetary session with the 80ED. I can definitely see the southern polar cap on Mars at 200x. No cicadas, but I was buzzed by a big and noisy tawny owl. Maybe he wanted to look at Mars through my 80ED. Maybe he ate all the cicadas ...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2022
  5. Orion25

Haha, let the owl sneak a peak, Dave. I've got a few resident owls at my place, too, along with the occasional opossum and some bothersome cats. I'm waiting for a few more months before I get serious with Mars; I'm taking a break from these morning sessions, lol. Saturn is my next target as it approaches opposition next month. Oh, yeh, on the topic of "AC"...

there is a double pun here...

wait for it...

"AC" is pretty cooooooooool!
    :p:p:p

Mak the Night likes this.
  6. Mak the Night

TBH it was so hot here the early morning sessions were as much to stay cool as to do anything astronomical. I was a bit disappointed with the transparency but the seeing was well above average. Saturn is looking pretty good at the moment. I've had a couple of glimpses of Rhea. It's nearly as bright as Titan I believe.

AC's cool for cats.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2022
    Orion25 likes this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25 very cool pictures, they look very similar to a visual observation.

The Lagoon, I can see a bit less of the core with my 8", and omega it's very similar! Fantastic. You have a bit of color too at the core in the lagoon, that, I can't see obviously.

I want to look at these but they always are in a direction with very heavy pollution, last observation the sky was very humid and not too transparent.

I'll have better luck next time!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Orion25 likes this.
  8. Orion25

Thanks, Neb! :)

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I can't wait to go look at these nebulae again.. in fact doing the summer trip from the top of Aquila and down to Sagittarius.. it's so impressive and beautiful.

I got sick from the covid Monday and just starting to recover today, my vacation starts today.. Covid needs to settle down fast.. damnit... :confused:

10. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

Reggie Kudos good job , I can decipher the Lagoon nebula in your photo. That setup is a good match and Using 10s is probably your sweet spot for a non cooled camera . You're selecting some good targets, I can start on the Eagle again in Sept., keep it up Reggie .

Orion25 likes this.
  11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25

I had the chance to look at these nebulae with my 12" mirror yesterday :eek: seriously I was impressed at a level much higher then expected. Both were totally fabulous Omega and lagoon. :)

Orion25 likes this.
  12. Orion25

Wow, I bet that 12'' mirror really brought out some features! Do you use filters? I have an OIII narrowband that works well on these.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  13. Orion25

Thanks, sb. It's fun getting these quick one-off shots. Visually, I like to use my OIII narrowband filter on these nebulae; it really helps to bring out the forms of the clouds.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25

The 12" mirror is amazing to say the least, the potential and the durability are very high. It's difficult for the back but there is a reward. It's the biggest mirror I'll ever own.

Last observation, I didn't tried any filters but my NPB is usually really good on these nebulae with my 8" mirror.

Filters to be tested later on for sure! Well my NPB and my inexpensive no name OIII filter. (Which is not VERY far away from the NPB in terms of results)

Orion25 likes this.
  15. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

The two images look really nice. I especially like the way you captured the nebulosity in the field of stars.

Ed

Orion25 likes this.