Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Hyades and Pleiades

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Feb 7, 2019.

Hyades and Pleiades

Started by Ed D on Feb 7, 2019 at 3:46 PM

4 Replies 132 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I recently bought a ZWO T2 to EOS lens adapter, allowing me to use my Canon EOS lenses on my ASI290MC camera. This adapter is the new model that eliminates the shortcomings of the original and it works great. These images were taken using the 18-55mm les set at ~20mm. I like this setup for wide-field deep sky in my particular environment.

These smaller JPEG images don't do justice to the full screen size TIFF images I see in my new monitor. Yeah, I finally replaced my 15 year old 16" monitor with a 23" 16:9 monitor for under $100, well within my limited budget. Wow, what a difference.

Ed D

Hyades 2019 02-06 JPEG.jpg
    Hyades - 30 Image Stack

Pleiades 2019 02-06 JPEG.jpg
    Pleiades - 10 Image Stack

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Seer, bobharmony and Gabby76 like this.
  2. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Good job! You've captured the intensities of the star sizes and can clearly see the Asterisms associated with each of the clusters.

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thanks, Squeege. What coincidence that Brian Ventrudo's article on the Hyades was posted the same day! The nightscapes in the article are stunning.

Ed

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice work, Ed. I love wide-field photography of striking constellations and asterisms. Sounds you got a nice combination there with the Canon lenses and the ZWO camera!

5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thanks, Reggie. I'm surprised I got such wide fields, considering the camera I used has a small sensor optimized for planetary work. What I love about the adapter is that it allows me to use focal lengths that are just not available in even the smallest scopes. Also, using the laptop is much more friendly in many respects compared to the DSLR, plus I'm not beating up my camera.

Ed