Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

I had a night or 2 to test on m31

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by stepping beyond, Oct 14, 2018.

I had a night or 2 to test on m31

Started by stepping beyond on Oct 14, 2018 at 3:14 PM

2 Replies 68 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Active Member

It wasn't too bad and I didn't drip when I got done setting up, I caught a cold front and tested with my efw mini 5 and a shiny new moonlite focuser without the mini V2 , it's coming after xmas. I've finally pested Alanna to the breaking point and it'll be super once I learn how to use it , I've got to slip clutch it until then. Andromeda 3 nights of data collection in lrgb before the clouds ran over everything. I got my guiding working pretty good and now 30s Subs , from my overloaded mount. color finished.jpg ] At least , I've got my settings set and efw working with Sgpro , the tune up and re-grease is paying dividends , if I could stop knocking my guidescope off it's mark , I'd be doing great.

Ed D and Dave In Vermont like this.
  2. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

Andromeda Galaxy will be an easy target for the next month or so. Plenty of time to get more data! I love when the time changes and I can begin imaging at 7:30 pm!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Hey Ronnie -

I just read in your signature that you moved your 200mm F/4 Newt. onto an LX200 Super-Field (I'm guessing that's the 'SF') tripod with your LXD55-Mount? I ask as I'm thinking of doing the same thing here.

I have 2 LXD55s' (the other is cradling a 5" F/9.3 refractor) and I, too, have Super-Field Tripod - currently supporting my 12" LX90 Meade SCT - which comes with the LX90 12". I also have a Meade GIANT Super-Field Tripod that came with my donated Meade 12" LX200. So I'll move the 12" LX90 SCT onto the Giant Super-Field Tripod - which is what should be supplied with the 12" LX90's in the first place!

If you can follow all that above - you're a better man than I! :p

All the above boils down to that I, too, will have my LXD55 - mounted 200mm F/4 Newtonian on a Super-Field Tripod. My Orion 200mm F/4 is the same telescope that you have. It's from about a year before they started using the word "Astrograph" though. I used (still do) the older term "Rich-Field" to describe these incredible beasts! They truly take in a fantastic, wide swatch of deep-sky. Anyway - a question for you, please? Here goes:

How's the stability of this pairing of the 200mm F4 / LXD55 and the Super-Field Tripod? I'd think it would be great indeed! Had any problems that you'd care to warn me of? Any tips and/or tricks you've got would be great of you to share with all of us out here. I don't think anyone has ever written up the combination of these before. I'd say this could also apply to the Meade LXD75 mounts. Both of these LXD55 & LXD75's were wonderful! A few bugs in the '55's which are easy to fix, but about the same all-in-all.

Keep up the fine works!

Dave