Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

If You Use Cartes du Ciel: READ THIS THREAD!

Discussion in 'Astronomy Software, Apps, and Websites' started by Dave In Vermont, May 28, 2017.

If You Use Cartes du Ciel: READ THIS THREAD!

Started by Dave In Vermont on May 28, 2017 at 9:36 PM

25 Replies 3817 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Hi Folks -

This is a warning about a nasty surprise I got tonight. I've already posted this up-the-line. Feel free to respond and/or yell! :eek: So I'll just 'cut & paste' the same thing I've posted over there.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Folks:

I had a nasty & malicious surprise tonight. Malwarebytes 3.0 detected a trojan living in my edition 4.0 CdC and informed me it had quarantined the following:

Malware.Ransom.Age...

It stated it had been found in the CdC\exe. And it had removed CdC from my computer. So my copy of CdC is gone. I removed every trace of it manually after that! I'm about to go fire off a **WARNING** email to France on this matter. Now I don't claim to be a computer-geek - by any stretch of the imagination. I know more than the average user, but that's not saying much. But I know some of you folks out there are quite skilled in the field. So I ask some of you to say what you think of this malicious Surprise-du-Jour. I'll give the full story here:

I was using CdC at the time - looking for the current position of the <GRS> on Jupiter as we had a few breaks in the clouds this evening. While using CdC, I noted the program kept crashing on me, losing it's lock on Jupiter and giving me blank screens. And then the warning from the new trial of Malwarebytes 3 I've been running for about 5 days. My generally suspicious nature kicked in here:

I've seen some crooked software-programs that offer you a free-trial run. And these always find a boat-load of viruses - that no other programs ever find - and then want your money to get rid of them. Fly-By-Night software-programs that nobody ever heard of before. So I do know about that brand of crooks. But this is Malwarebytes! They always have been highly respected in the field, so my suspicions I noted, but erred on the side of caution and got CdC all-the-way out of my system. Malwarebytes had removed the vast majority of CdC anyways.

I think that's about all I know. Other people - with more computer-savvy - are encouraged to share their take on what happened to me here. The CdC was installed over a month ago and had given me no problems until this one tonight. I do visit their updates for Comets, Asteroids, and Satellites every day - if I remember to - so maybe something hitchhiked in on one of these? That RANSOMWARE-Flag from Malwarebytes nearly made me jump out of my moccasins!

As Malwarebytes isn't known for giving false-reports to people to get them to buy their goods, and I've still got 8 days of the Free-Trial of their new top-end program that also searches for this new Ransomware threat, I'm feeling I may well cough-up some £$$£'s for the thing.

Thoughts? Ideas? Warnings?

Dave

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If you recently installed CdC 4.0, scan it and be aware of the above warnings.

I hope it's nothing,

Dave

Zigarro likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

It's almost certainly a false positive Dave. I used MBAM from its inception (around 2008 I believe) until about two years ago and it's always given f/p's. Eventually it got so bad I uninstalled it and stuck with SUPERAntiSpyware which I've used even longer. They can all give f/p's but MBAM excels in it. I've just scanned all 10260 files of my copy of CDC with SAS and it's fine. It's worth pointing out that SAS is the only antimalware program to discover actual malware on a computer I once owned. MBAM has found a few relatively harmless PUP's but mostly it confuses genuine system drivers or third party application programs with malware. I just used to wait until the next signature update and the 'malware' it found mysteriously disappeared. I'm not saying MBAM is complete bollocks, but I wouldn't totally trust it if it told me the sun would rise tomorrow.

sascdc1.jpg

I just don't trust MBAM anymore. I'm not sure of the efficacy of SAS but it's just a back-up on demand scanner for me. If your AV didn't detect anything in the CDC installer when you initially installed it the odds are it was clean. This sounds like a borked MBAM signature update. Wait a few hours and see if they've rectified it. If you have the original installer, run it again and scan it with your AV and MBAM.

One of the principle reasons I make regular Macrium images is because of f/p's eviscerating my computer, or MS update borkers. Of course, regular back-up images are just as good a safeguard from ransomware or signature borks from MBAM. Plus checking important updates for your platform. I often check Woody's blog:

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/how-to-make-sure-you-wont-get-hit-by-wannacrywannacrypt/

Macrium Reflect: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

You could check the URL you downloaded CDC from with VT: https://www.virustotal.com

I hate to say this Dave, but the best thing to do with MBAM is to uninstall it. If you have a router firewall, decent browser hardening and a competent AV you should be fine.

3. Dave In Vermont

Actually - I not only think it was a false-positive, it was a purposeful false-positive. I'll explain:

Having spoken to many others, the reason people are now installing MB 3 is due to their claiming to find and destroy 'Ransomware' infections. And as the **WARNING** I got (which auto-removed CdC) said it was 'Ransomware' it had found - I think Malwarebytes did this on purpose to get me (and anyone) to cough-up our $$$£££ and buy Malwarebytes 3 once out 'Free Trial-Period' is up.

And that sort of underhanded crap is usually reserved for anti-virus software-programs that no one's ever heard of before that claims it's found "999 Viruses!" that no other A-V's have ever heard of! Yoou expect this sort of thing from 'THOSE' outfits - but Malwarebytes has always been honest and considered excellent. UNTIL NOW!

Now they have a fleet of angry scientists calling for their heads! And I'm leading the charge!

Thanks for the tip regards SAS, Mak. I'll look into it.

Off to sharpen my Battle-Axe.....

Dave

4. Mak the Night

Yes, I've been wondering about MBAM's recent customer policies, and they do seem to be on a drive for more paying customers recently. I wouldn't say MBAM was quite rogueware yet, but I've ceased trusting it.

One of the main reasons I bought a laptop with Linux was to circumvent the whole AV/antimalware program fandango. I don't even need to run an AV on Ubuntu.

CDC runs beautifully on Ubuntu!

I've been running Fotosketcher (Windows only) for years, I can guarantee every time it upgrades my AV (Panda) will claim it's malware. Most AV's I've used claim it has malware when Fotosketcher upgrades and even a couple of VT's scanners claim the same for a while. Eventually they all admit it was a false positive. I always keep the Fotosketcher installer so I can reinstall it again after telling Panda to ignore it. I have no idea why it keeps getting flagged as malware as it obviously isn't. Coincidentally, Fotosketcher is also French software. Software development and coding are very advanced in France as the French government invests heavily in it. Which is why a lot of software originates in France (VLC, CDC, Stellarium, VMA, VPA etc). Interestingly, the last Fotosketcher upgrade went without a hitch.

http://fotosketcher.com

Personally, I'd just have an AV running in realtime. Additional scanners should only be used as on-demand, that way you can minimise conflicts and lessen the chances of f/p's.

Oh yeah, and conspiracy theory of the week ...

http://www.securityweek.com/latest-wannacry-theory-currency-manipulation

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. george

george Developer

Just to chime in on antivirus, personal preference is either Esset Node32 or Bitdefender. Both have worked very well for me over the years :)

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  6. Mak the Night

Nod 32 is hardcore, I'm tempted to run it myself. It has an excellent reputation. I believe a lot of AV's have the BitDefender engine, including BullGuard and F-Secure. I think there is a BitDefender free version, although I've been told it is also prone to false positives. Mind you, they all are at some time. This is why Linux will inherit the Earth lol.

7. george

george Developer

I've been contemplating converting my laptop to Linux or at least dual booting to use primarily for work my only issue is I'm pretty heavily dependent still on the Adobe Suite of products. If I was only doing development work I would probably make the switch.

I don't believe Linux is more or less inherently secure over Windows it usually has to do with user error in most cases. It just so happens that the majority of Linux desktop users happen to be more technically inclined which results in more self awareness what is operating on their particular setup.

You have to remember that most of the devices connected to the internet operate on Linux and they get compromised ever single day just the same as any windows desktop. In actuality windows in itself is secure in most cases its usually third party software that opens it up to vulnerabilities. The key with staying safe is choosing devices and software that is regularly maintained with best practices.

8. Dave In Vermont

Thanks, George, for the logical view of Linux, et al. It fits together with what I was suspecting.

It would be nice if there was a way to electrocute these hackers, spammers, and idiots through their keyboards. At least I managed to break the eardrums of one crook yesterday. Everyone should have an Emergency Boat-Horn next to their phones.

Bwahahahaha!

Dave

9. Mak the Night

Yes, but when Linux servers get compromised it very rarely affects the average user's Linux OS. I know Linux can be infected with malware but most malware is aimed specifically at Windows and won't normally affect those who are running Linux. It is quite rare to see compromised users running Linux. This may change one day of course. I run Ubuntu for a variety of reasons, mainly because it isn't Windows. I still run Win 7 though, they're gonna have to pry that out of my cold dead fingers lol! Linux would be great if it worked properly everywhere. Now, a distro as good as Win 7 would be just about perfect ...

ubuntu desktop.png

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Microsoft isn't doing anything good for humanity right now, especially with spying Windows 10. I feel so great using Linux Mint for maybe 3 years now? it's providing me a feeling of great freedom. There is no point of attacking open source because it's not a source of evil or a world domination tool, it's there to enrich people and to provide computing capabilities to everyone. (for free)

The problem is the world domination ambitions of the US government using Microsoft has a tool to invade others. It's my idea why Microsoft IS the primary target...

11. Mak the Night

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that less people run Linux than still run Vista. The reason why Windows is the main target for malware is that it is so widely used so there is more chance for criminals to benefit from infecting Microsoft software. Basically it's a numbers game.

system.png

Although I still believe Linux is inherently safer as a system, although obviously not bullet proof. It's not just security that I run Ubuntu (14.04 LTS) for though. I actually prefer using it as an OS. Stellarium runs better on it, I think the audio is better quality amongst other things. Linux is much lighter, Windows is seriously bloated. I prefer the updating on Ubuntu. MS updates are seriously shagged IMO. Linux just seems overall more user friendly. Not to mention the fact that Canonical is a British based company and Ubuntu has an interface in UK English.

12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ubuntu looks nice Mak, I should try it some day so easy to install.

Mint is based on Ubuntu too, they must be similar in many ways. I feel free using this kind of OS for the sake of having the total control of the computer, no odd behaviors or applications messing the operating system, nothing happened in 4 years to my computer it's calm like a bunker inside a mountain.

Nothing is messing my mood too, I update if I want to update.

We are lucky Linux users ((:)

This is the screenshot of Mint Cinnamon interface, the file manager has a double pane option F3 (or more) which is really useful to sort things out.

[​IMG]

13. Mak the Night

Mint Cinnamon looks nice. Mint and Ubuntu are both based on Debian. Shuttleworth's abandoned the Unity interface now, which will please a lot of Ubuntu users who disliked it. I actually quite like it, although a lot of people think the Russian Space Agency should have fired Shuttleworth much further into space than they did after he introduced Unity ROTFL! Still, not that many people can claim to be a trained cosmonaut like Shuttleworth.

839.png

These are a few screenshots of the eclipse a couple of years ago. They were made on my old Belnea laptop. It ran Vista until I converted it to Trusty Tahr LTS.

0920 eclipse.png

It was a tad underpowered as a laptop and only had 1GB of RAM. It struggled with Vista, probably the worst OS ever coded, but it positively flew with Ubuntu. Unfortunately, after nearly a decade the hardware gave up. So I bought a Lenovo laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu. I decided not to dual boot. I've never regretted buying the Lenovo.

kstars.png

Whatever happened to DistroAstro?

http://www.distroastro.org

Come to think about it, whatever happened to The Stranglers?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great video ((; this is totally my kind of music (70s British progressive) and I did not know The Stranglers. This is a great day!

have to go back to work.

15. Dave In Vermont

The Stranglers would never play in the US-market. So they likely gave up. Simple reason: Americans have never heard of Leon Trotsky. After years & years of cutting the education-level here, I'd be surprised if they can even read a first-grade primer.

So a song/band has to dumb-down their lyrics to entice the "Illiteraci" to buy their music. The Beatles would have failed miserably today. McDonald's discovered their minimum-wage workers couldn't even read the menu of McDeath's for the cash-register. And they decided it would cost too much money to provide them with an education in reading/writing. So they re-designed their cash-register to show pictures of their products.

And that is likely why MSN came out with Windows 8, etc. Duhhh.....

Derrr.....

Dave

16. Mak the Night

I saw The Stranglers back in the day, they are probably the best live band I've ever seen.

This topped the charts in the UK even though the BBC banned it initially as there was some debate on whether Golden Brown was a drugs reference or not.

17. Mak the Night

A lot of British bands never made it in the States but were huge in the UK.

Paul Weller and The Jam were one of them. I think they were just too English for the US market.

You could be on to something about Win 8 though lol.

18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Mak these were great videos again thanks for sharing, I am enjoying this thread very much so far :p Total hijack of the main subject, sorry Dave.

I have to go to the store to get some shoes now :p

19. Mak the Night

Yeah, we've digressed a bit from the topic. Dave will have to tell us if he's re-installed CDC. I'd really miss it if I had to uninstall it. I have it on Ubuntu and Windows. As a recompense for Dave I'll post a car chase sequence from one of Dave's favourite shows.

Oh yeah, getting even further off topic, I forgot about these blokes.

20. Dave In Vermont

Hardly a 'hijack.' It served it's intended purpose. You can dynamite it for all I give a whoop! :p

That was one of my favorite episodes, by-the-by! They don't make good stuff like that anymore! :mad:

As my surrogate-son once quipped:

"I believe in a world without borders. But I don't believe in 'New World Orders.'

Too English, eh? HA! :D The flip-side of that coin is too frightening to think! If I was in a coma for a year and woke up today and watched the news - I'd conclude I was in a horrible nightmare!

:eek:

Regards CdC: Yes I've re-installed it. Scanned it with everything and it's grandmother - Nothing. As for Malwarebytes - I must presume they pulled that stunt to make people buy their bloody software under false pretenses. So I tossed them on the scrapheap and erased their folder with a 7X overwrite.

They threw out CdC. I erased them. Fair is fair! Now I'll write a lovely article about this!

evaD

As you think that Jam is too Brit - this wouldn't get play either here - because it's too American:

OR: