Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Is Betelgeuse About to Explode?

Discussion in 'Celestial Events' started by Ed D, Aug 12, 2022.

Is Betelgeuse About to Explode?

Started by Ed D on Aug 12, 2022 at 3:30 PM

7 Replies 5171 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I just read an article in the SPACE WEATHER website about a Surface Mass Ejection (SME). Astronomers believe that in 2019 a colossal piece of the star surface blew off. It's in the Friday, August 12, 2022 page of Space Weather.com

You can also do a search on 'Betelgeuse SME' and find articles about it. There is also a link to a UNIVERSE TODAY article in the Astronomy and Space News of this website.

Ed D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    Nebula likes this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Very interesting the article on Betelgeuse from space weather. I will browse that website from now on, thanks for sharing it here.

They say that the star is now back to it's original brightness, returned to normal, I was not aware of that.

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

One reason I frequent the Space Weather website is to check up on solar activity. I have a small, inexpensive white light film filter that fits my 55-250mm DSLR lens. When sunspots are active, and weather cooperates, I'll snap a few frames. I can either stack the frames or process a single one. This year the African dust has been especially bad. The dust keeps hurricanes at bay, but negatively impacts just about everything else, day or night. BTW, I'll take the dust vs a hurricane.

Ed

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Ed D

Oki oki fast setup to snap pictures of the sun. That filter is is something you screw on the lens of the camera or it's a DIY that you fit over a standard camera lens?

Ouff ok so in Florida, you get probably, the salt air from the ocean PLUS the African dust. Looks like a challenging place to do astronomy.

Here in Québec usually we have smog from the fires in the west each summer, it cuts the transparency.

5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

My filter is a Baader film filter that I picked up from Agena Astro: https://agenaastro.com/baader-astro-solar-spotter-filter-assf-50.html

I bought it originally to use in a small spotting scope to observe the August 2017 solar eclipse. Didn't use it afterward because the sun was in a dormant cycle. It happens to fit my DSLR lens. Now that the sunspots are active again I have used it a few times for imaging.

I'm inland several miles, so ocean salt air doesn't really affect me. The biggest challenge for me is that I live in a severe Bortle 9 zone.

Ed

Nebula likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Ed D Ahh oki it,s a astrosolar but the whole assembly is made by them also. I had never seen these filters from Baader, they look well built and really affordable.

I built my white light filter with a astro solar filter also, 8" for my 8" Newtonian. It's a large solar filter, it's very good with my teleescope!

Bortle +-7 here.. it's difficult for DSOs.

7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised and amazed that I can actually image many of the brighter DSOs from my backyard. The biggest challenge I have is finding them in a very bright night sky.

Ed

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Me too I can visually look at dsos from what looks like deadly pollution at home, it's still impressive. It happens often that I am too tired to drive to a dark spot, having observation at home and it's incredible nonetheless less to look at the astronomical wonders.

We are alone on the forum, it's sad...