Dismiss Notice
We were experiencing issues with a server migration and upgrade to the underlying platform. Everything should be up and running now, but if you notice any issues with the site please head over to Report and Issue Forums to let us know. If you are unable able to do so, free to email me directly atgeorge@astronomyconnect.com. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
-George

Jupiter 11 April 2017

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Apr 14, 2017.

Jupiter 11 April 2017

Started by Ed D on Apr 14, 2017 at 6:19 AM

5 Replies 58 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I took the same image I posted as a thumbnail on my April 10 post and used a photo program to enhance the colors just a bit, and make it a little brighter. It made a nice difference. The purple wash from the achromat lens is evident, but I think it gives the image a vintage look. After all, it is a vintage scope design I used.

Ed D

Jupiter 2017 04-11.jpg

Subject: Jupiter
    Date: 04/11/2017
    Time: 22:21hr EDT (04/12 02:21 UT)
    Conditions: 8-9/10 Pickering
    Instrument: 70mm f/12.9 Achromat Refractor
    Camera: ZWO ASI120MC
    Focal Length: f/25.8 using 2x Barlow
    Image Size: 1280x960
    Frames: 1,500 light frames
    Software: SharpCap 2.9, RegiStax 6, Photo Studio

Notes:
    - Moons, top to bottom: Io, Europa and Ganymede.
    - Io had just completed a shadow transit.
    - Colors enhanced slightly in Photo Studio.
    - Purple wash from achromat lens is evident.

Zigarro, Orion25 and Dave In Vermont like this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Excellent shooting, Ed! You've got the beautiful 'swirling' on Jupiter, and great contrast too.

A bit of purple doesn't detract a bit as far as I'm concerned. All this concern of the 'dreaded blue (or purple)' imparted by achromatic refractors was (I'm convinced) tossed into the culture by the corporations' that started it all by selling their new super-high priced 3-lens refractors back a ways in time. Until then it was never mentioned as being a problem. Or noticed. If you wanted a 5" F9.3 refractor - as I have - you'd have to hold-up a bank, or similar, - if it had to be a 3-lensed refractor. Achromats were what there was.

I always write something like this post when someone does note it! :D And my Meade AR5 refractor, from 2003, in 5" gives utterly beautiful views - sharp as a razor.

So thank you for posting your image! That's a truly great look at Jupiter.

Do keep up the great work, please. And no need to mention 'purple!' :D

Starry Skies -

Dave - proud achromatic-refractor owner.

Zigarro likes this.
  3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Dave, I love that little 70mm Vixen achromat, as well as my vintage Meade 60mm f/15. There's something about long focus achromats that you just can't get with the newer EDs and Triplets. Observers that seriously use achromats share the same sentiment.

I really like and appreciate my AT72ED for wide field views and imaging. I was using it last night to image a star field. But, it can't do on planets what I can do with the long Vixen, no matter how many Barlows I stick in the AT72ED.

Another achromat that has given me great views is the AR102. At f/6.5 it excels at wide field views. The Pleiades is stunning through that scope with my 24mm 68* Hyperion, as are other large DSOs.

In the old Roman Empire purple colored garments were reserved for the wealthiest of aristocrats. So, I guess you and I are astro-aristocrats of sorts. :)

Ed D

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  4. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

Great image Ed! That's better than what I can see through my F10/90; yours is sharper. Good work!

5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Zig, I can't see that visually, only through the camera. I bet your 90mm f/10 can do really nice planetary imaging, too.

Ed D

6. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

Well it might do but it has a pitiful focuser (upgrading soon to GSO 2", dual sp.) and, I don't yet have a decent camera set-up, but that's in my future ;). Meanwhile, I'm enjoying your photos as well as Reggie's!