Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Jupiter at Opposition 2017

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Apr 8, 2017.

Jupiter at Opposition 2017

Started by Orion25 on Apr 8, 2017 at 11:34 AM

6 Replies 1586 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Here is a short video I shot of Jupiter using the Orion Electronic Imaging Eyepiece (analog color version) connected to my 180mm Maksutov on the night of opposition (April 7-8,2017). A little atmospheric turbulence, but an otherwise ok shot:

But, by far, this is my best shot of Jupiter from the 2010 opposition with Io in transit:

Enjoy!
    Reggie;)

2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Very nice video of Jupiter at opposition.

I would have loved take a decent video last night but the seeing was horrendous. I couldn't process a single pic that was worth anything. Your image in the video is better than my post processed images. Yeah, that bad.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Thanks, Ed. I hope you have better luck in the coming days. Jupiter will still be big and bright for a little while yet.

4. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

I'm getting nice sharp views and the moons are bright little points of light but as yet, no decent way to capture. Sure is a thrill to view though.

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Hey, Z, this is what I'm currently using to capture solar system objects:
    [​IMG]
    It's an old-school analog Orion Electronic Imaging Device that's unfortunately been discontinued. It was an inexpensive way to image the planets by hooking it up to a TV, video camera or other display device. It was less than $100 at the time (early 2000s). Now, Orion has exclusive USB connections for its space cams, requiring you to use a computer. I'm thinking about upgrading to this for around $200:
    http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=103029
    It shoots up to 50fps at 5MP and has a 1/2.5" sensor

A cheaper option, but step-down in sensor-size and quality would be this for about half the price:
    http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=52175
    It shoots up to 15 fps and has a 1/3" sensor.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  6. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Reggie, a lot of the feedback I read about the $99 Orion cam wasn't exactly stellar. The Starshoot, on the other hand, gets good reviews. It looks very similar to current offerings.

Another option is the ZWO ASI120MC, which is the one I have. It normally retails at $169, a bargain at that price. It is currently on sale at 15% off, making it a steal of a deal.

The beauty of these modern cams, at least to me, who likes simplicity, is that I only use one USB cable from the cam to the fully charged laptop. My CG-4 GEM has a battery powered motor drive. Less cables for me and my dog to get tangled on. She loves to be with me when I'm outside, sometimes bumping the tripod, but I can cut her some slack. Laptops that aren't state of the art, maybe factory refurbished, can be found pretty inexpensive, as low as around $200. I would buy only from a local reputable dealer.

BTW, last night was a very clear and steady night. I need to process the vids I took, and I'm sure these are going to be my best yet images. Will post them as soon as they are done.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  7. Orion25

Thanks for the heads-up, Ed. I wasn't too sure about the little $99 cam. The Starshoot definitely seems to be the better option of the two. I plan on getting a dedicated little laptop for imaging purposes. I appreciate the feedback; I'm ready to upgrade my imaging gear just a bit. I'm going to consider the ZWO ASI120MC since I'm really impressed with your images.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017