Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Jupiter Night!

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Scopejunkie, Jun 8, 2018.

Jupiter Night!

Started by Scopejunkie on Jun 8, 2018 at 9:19 PM

3 Replies 2091 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Is this too many high power scopes for one man? (cooled C14, cooled C8, 5" F/9 "rail scope" refractor). Currently looking at Jupiter. Hope my old butt can stay stay up tonight for Saturn & Mars. :) Momma is away and daddy is playin'. Jupiter Night.jpg

Keith (Scopejunkie)

Nebula and Dave In Vermont like this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Nice squadron of scopes you got there, Keith! I love that rail-refractor. Where'd you get the lens (achromat?) for it? I have a Meade AR5 F/9.3 Achromatic Refractor myself. I think 5" is the perfect size for a refractor. I pined away for a 5" Unitron as a kid. NOT a 6." It was the 5" for my fantasies & desires, don't know why...

My new Brandon #30 Magenta Filter is supposed to work on Jupiter. It's said to enhance the white spots and bands. Unfortunately Jupiter is blocked by a house here. I could get it from my ST80 though - without breaking my neck hauling a monster down my Dutch (very narrow) Stairs with the 150mm Maksutov - but that's a bit later on this month!

MARS HO!

3. Scopejunkie

Thanks! I used to drool over the Unitron refractors too. The achromat lens is from the Surplus Shed. Pretty good lens according to my ronchi and star tests. I find that a 5" refractor is a good balance between enough apetrure for serious lunar/planetary work yet not quite the beast of a 6" or 8". I've owned two AR5's over the years. Both had good lenses.

Keith (Scopejunkie) Wollensak 127.jpg

Nebula likes this.
  4. Scopejunkie

The C-14 observing "area" is gettin' an upgrade...

Attached Files: