Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion Long term bad sky is killing me and motivation

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Leonard, May 30, 2019.

Long term bad sky is killing me and motivation

Started by Leonard on May 30, 2019 at 3:49 AM

2 Replies 355 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

I know, it’s a long title, but it best suits my dilemma.

I have not had a scope out in (I believe) months. At first it was due to bad skies and bad timing. The few times the sky cooperated I was tied up, etc.

I tried to compensate with my new Scenix binocs from Orion, but as much as I like binocs they are not the same as a scope.

Now, I am loosing motivation. Under normal conditions I scan the weather and dark sky charts. I check outside at night for an opening. But I am loosing that drive.

I got up early enough to run this morning and noticed Jupiter. The sky wasn’t great, but not so much to effect Jupiter. I used to rush out my “grab and go” for a quick look, but this morn I just couldn’t make the push.

I need some decent sky in a hurry.

Just a final question: has anyone had this problem in the past, a lack of motivation? If so, how did you cope? I’ve been in this hobby for 19 1/2 years. This is a new one on me.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

It can be depressing with long periods of inclement weather. I took a chance and set up my ED72 a couple of nights ago at about 22:30 (British Summer Time) with the expectation of cloud predicted at midnight.

arcturus.jpg

It wasn't properly dark at 22:30 and the transparency was so bad that all I could see was Arcturus. At about 23:15 it actually started to clear and I had a pretty decent session until 00:00 when it finally clouded over.

To paraphrase the motto of the Special Air Service; 'Who Dares Views'. lol

3. Creb

Creb New Member

Being retired helped me a bit as I don't have to wait for weekends to travel to a dark site. I can't do much astronomy at home except for planets and moon. I'm hoping to move soon to a clearer, drier location.