Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Lumicon #8 Light Yellow Filter

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by Mak the Night, Jun 7, 2018.

Lumicon #8 Light Yellow Filter

Started by Mak the Night on Jun 7, 2018 at 4:19 AM

20 Replies 3778 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Well, after several weeks, my Lumicon #8 filter has arrived.

Lumicon 8 (1).jpg

The first thing I noticed was a change in the case itself.

Lumicon 8 (5).jpg

All my other Lumicon filters; Wratten, OIII and UHC have small hard plastic cases.

Lumicon 8 (2).jpg

The writing font/style on the housing is also slightly different to my other Lumicon Wratten filters.

Lumicon 8 (4).jpg

The crown is a different design, and appears to have a 'cross-hatch' grip. The threads seemed fine and went into everything I threaded it into.

Lumicon 8 (3).jpg

The Lumicon #8 certainly looks like a quality filter. Compared to a TS Optics (GSO) #8 (shown on the right above) it seems to have a much more subtle colour, which is possibly indicative of a slightly higher transmission rate. Daylight testing against the GSO #8 and a Baader Fringe Killer the Lumicon does appear to be less intense. This bodes well for using as a minus cyan filter on achromatic refractors.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

First up - thanks for posting this. I hope it is indicative of an ongoing series of other posts on individual filters you have, comparisons, etc. That would be great! And quite addictive too.

My 2¢; The cases. Yes, the old-style hard-plastic cases. They have an annoying tendency to have one of their hard-plastic bobbles, that make for the hinges, break-off. Leaving you to hunt for a new case. Or play 'Brain Surgeon' with some Epoxy.

A lighter shade of yellow, eh? I agree - this does point toward a greater light-throughput.

I wonder how much money they want now....?

3. Mak the Night

You're welcome Dave. It looks fine to be honest, if this is one of the new production runs it certainly has the same quality feel to it.

It cost me almost exactly £40 (53.56 USD), but I had to order it from Astroshop in Germany, so I'm paying 'through the nose' for it as we say here as anything from Germany is expensive.

It claims to be made in the USA on the case and the housing. What that actually means is debatable though. The components may have actually been manufactured in Asia and assembled in the US.

The old style cases were a bit finicky, especially if you have a disability, the soft plastic cases (used by GSO as well) are probably better in that respect.

The Lumicon #82A Light Blue also seems a lighter shade of blue than its GSO counterpart, and is much more subtle. The #11 Yellow-Green seems about the same as its GSO equivalent though.

I'm itching to use the Lumicon #8 and #11 on Mars with my 102mm refractor. I could see Mars last night at around 02:00 out of my window. Although I'd packed up my scope at around midnight. The #8 should have arrived yesterday, but there was some delay. Nothing's changed there then lol.

4. Dave In Vermont

Can't find the Lumicon #8 on Agena. It gives me the page when I did a 'search' and puts me there. But no 'Lumicon' #8 Yellow to be seen. In any event, other Lumicon colors - 1.25"- vary from a low of about $36 up to $46ish. I think I'd advise going with GSO at $13.--.

"Up the nose (or 'snout')" is also quite common here. Let me double-check.....Here it is in my Balin's English - American Dictionary of Translations: 'Up the nose' trans 'My nipples' explode with delight!'

'Ta.

Nebula likes this.
  5. Mak the Night

6. Dave In Vermont

Thar she blows! Must of been a temporary glitch in the whatzit! But yeah - the New! Improved Lumicon! is charging a fortune. Harumph!

Mine is a Pro-Optic, cost me around $12.00 a few years ago. It appears, from the images of the Lumicon I can see on here, a bit deeper (darker) yellow. I keep all 3 of my Yellow-Filters in a soft-plastic box as your new Lumicon came with. My #8, #12, and #15.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  7. Mak the Night

The Lumicon #8 is quite pale. I thought it was more subtle than the Fringe Killer.

As for the cost, I blame Zeta Reticulan labour charges.

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Dave In Vermont

Can't find the Lumicon #8 on Agena. It gives me the page when I did a 'search' and puts me there. But no 'Lumicon' #8 Yellow to be seen. In any event, other Lumicon colors - 1.25"- vary from a low of about $36 up to $46ish. I think I'd advise going with GSO at $13.--.

I agree with that, especially for what it is and what it can actually do, a color filter, a miracle result would be a surprise.

I'll stay away from Lumicon. (Sorry American workers)

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

- Political view removed for the sake of peace -

:D

10. Mak the Night

I don't think Lumicon are quite that bad yet lol.

Anyway, they have an alibi!

11. Dave In Vermont

Lead singer looks like someone whose entire life was 'lip-synched' - including his first "Gaa! Gaa! Goo! Goo!"

Or....
    They should fire their editor back in the studio. If not the studio itself.

12. Mak the Night

Dude, that's the late, great Phil Lynott ...

Where did you DJ? :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Lynott

*shock, horror*

I'm speechless ...

Honestly ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Lizzy

Screenshot 2018-06-07 at 20.23.12.png

He even has a statue in Dublin.

13. Dave In Vermont

I'm not critical of the man. I'm critical of that video! Whoever produced that turkey bit the 'hairy wazoo!' It's tech. works are astoundingly sub-par.

Okay - Whiskey In A Jar is MUCH better production! LIVE tends to show the actual talent involved.

Get it now?

14. Mak the Night

Nice try. lol

15. Mak the Night

I've been doing some more daylight comparison tests between the Lumicon #8, GSO #8 and the Baader Fringe Killer. I'm pretty convinced the Lumicon is a paler and more subtle colour than the FK. The FK does have some pretty fancy coatings though. My hunch about the Lumicon was right, the #8 is probably the most subtle minus cyan filter I've tried. Difficult to say until I look at Jupiter with it though lol.

16. Mak the Night

I've looked at Jupiter with the Lumicon #8, GSO #8 and the Baader Fringe Killer. The Lumicon definitely gives the most natural view IMO.

17. Dave In Vermont

"Natural" view? Like there's nothing there at all? Well, you did say they were much lighter than others look! :p

Now what would work to neutralize or block 'yellow?' I suppose a deep purple.....Then another 'yellow' to remove the CA, and then a.....:eek: :D

18. Mak the Night

Well, as 'natural' as you're going to get with a yellow filter on an achromat lol. The ST80 doesn't Jimi Hendrix badly anyway. I often prefer a yellow filter for contrast on Jupiter.

19. Mak the Night

These eyepieces produced good images in the ST80 in combination with the 5x Barlow. These can show astigmatism used on their own in fast scopes. I couldn't detect any when viewing Jupiter and Venus at high magnifications.

IMG_20180610_163315.jpg

The first and third are 'Celestron' Plossls out of a Celestron kit, although they now have William Optics drawtubes.

IMG_20180610_164231.jpg

They're almost certainly Barsta made as this 'Sky-Watcher' 17mm Plossl is identical to the Celestron and can be used in my WO bino.

Nebula likes this.
  20. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I am stunned you can use a 5x barlow with the ST80 and get all these positive results! Very impressive, the Barlow will improve the aberrations of these eyepieces on a fast scope.