Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Lunar Dawn Fantasy

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Jan 20, 2019.

Lunar Dawn Fantasy

Started by Ed D on Jan 20, 2019 at 9:58 AM

1 Replies 531 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Preparation for the lunar eclipse tonight isn't just about scopes and cameras to me. I have many ideas how I want to present the images I hope to capture tonight. In playing around with GIMP and some of the lunar images, I came up with this one. It was simply a test to see if I could scale down one image and layer it with another.

Anyone with some knowledge of the movement of objects in the night sky can probably see that the moon is positioned wrong in relation to Venus and Jupiter, the two bright specks to the left Luna. The full moon doesn't rise during morning twilight, much less so far South. That's why the title Lunar Dawn Fantasy.

I love creating landscapes and nightscapes, as well as adding a little creativity to the images. I think it came out well and wanted to share it with everyone, especially since it is astro-related. Critique, positive and constructive, is very welcome.

Ed D

Lunar Dawn Fantasy.jpg
    Lunar Dawn Fantasy

Dawn.JPG
    Morning Twilight

135mm 01-19-2019.JPG
    Lunar test image

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Orion25 likes this.
  2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice, Ed. That's a very creative approach. Soon, I'll take my scope outside to cool down and try some prime focus shots of the eclipse. I'll take some zoom shots with my 300mm lens, too. In the morning, I plan on getting a shot of Venus and Jupiter as they reach conjunction. But it's so darn COLD! Brrrrrrr! But it's clear! :)